Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding sugar to your beer is NOT going to make it taste like freakin' cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #61
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used 10% table sugar in a Wit which we cracked today. Very tasty, it really lightened up the body like I wanted. 22 days grain to glass, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #62
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

I used 10% sugar in a Tripel I brewed a month ago. ~10% abv after it was all said and done, 1.01 FG, and it tasted great going into the secondary. Wish I didn't have to wait several months before kegging it and tasting it again, but it gives me something to look forward to.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #63
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
The point of not adding all the fermentables at first is because it will overwhelm the yeast due to viscosity of the wort and because the yeast will choose to metabolise the simple sugars (glucose, sucrose, fructose) in preference over the maltose. These latter sugars (which come from the malts) will be left unfermented, resulting in cloying sweetness and a heavy body.
If you added the sugar in during the boil, would it make sense to pitch some fresh yeast after a week?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #64
Rodenlager
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

In my experiences, I have found that using more than 30% of table sugar in a batch will indeed produce "sherry-like" flavors. I can only attribute the cidery taste people speak of to the beer itself being sharp from youth. In the right styles of beer, this sherry presence is very welcome i.e. barley-wine.

I have intentionally brew my amber barley-wine with table sugar comprising 50% of the fermentables, in my attempts at creating a beer similar to red Italian table wine. It works very well, it is sweet and dry, but like wine this beer does need to mature for a year before it comes into its own after put on oak.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #65
Belair
Recipes 

Default Adding sugar well? Adding pure alcohol should be cleaner

Here is my reasoning, I might be wrong, might be right :

If you brew a pale ale or lager at 3.8% alc and want to have it at 5%, it seems like adding sugar to up the alc content +1.2% would produce more nasties that could be tasted in the brew (by-products of fermentation) than if going with :

Option 2: adding a bit of 92-96% alc. to up the level to 5%, really won't take much and that alcohol is much purer than the 1.2% you'll get from fermenting sugar in your beer, would it be candi, invert or dextrose whatever… So, it should be cleaner in taste and very hard to detect : ferment a sugar wash to 1.2% clarify it and carbon filter it even, I doubt it would taste cleaner than water + 95% alc to make the alc content 1.2% It just makes total sense to me.

Unless that when adding sugar in a wort, when it ferments the things blend together and somewhat the sugar starts giving some good flavours like the malt/ and is totally different from adding some sugar wash to a beer. I highly doubt it.

and yes I know I could just add more malt, but I'm talking about adding 1.2% here, not much…

Last edited by Belair; 11-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #66
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belair View Post
[...]Any thoughts ?
Just one: Newbies are soooo cute!

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:38 AM   #67
wingedcoyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Just one: Newbies are soooo cute!

Cheers!
Ruuude.

Belair, I don't know of anyone trying it but I strongly suspect that dumping a bunch of Everclear in your beer will not do good things for its flavor. Bumping up ABV from 1.2 to 5 means that 24% of your alcohol would be from the booze addition, so that's actually pretty significant. A better bet if you want to bump up gravity (due to unexpectedly low mash efficiency I assume) would be to add some dry malt extract to make up the difference. Sugar is also fine, but only if you specifically want to dry out the beer.

Fermenting: RBC Hidden Pipe Clone
Conditioning: Motueka Wheat, ESB
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Quick Reply