The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding sugar to your beer is NOT going to make it taste like freakin' cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Holy Schnikes! That's a big brown beer! Prolly the biggest ever. Oh wait, is that for a 10Gal batch? I notice a lot of Chocolate malt in this beer. What's the SRM turn out to be? I'll bet its got preternatural head retention though.

I'm brewing a English brown next weekend so I'm exploring my options.
here's the rest of the digs:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.86 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 21.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 16.25 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 20.31 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Heat to 154.0 F over 15 min 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

OG was 1.051
FG was 1.012

I'll PM you with the whole recipe including my notes
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #42
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
Outside of a recipe that looks for a certain result albeit flavor, color, or the obligatory bump in ABV, why would you use sugar when you can get the same results with the proper blend of malt?
I think sugar is cheaper. Sometimes you might want to dry out a beer, and all the other stuff mentioned in this thread. But most commonly, when it gets recommended in large amounts, it's by people for whom cost is a slightly higher priority than absolute quality. Which is fair enough if that's what you're after, though I'd guess most on here would stick to 10% or less.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #43
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
Outside of a recipe that looks for a certain result albeit flavor, color, or the obligatory bump in ABV, why would you use sugar when you can get the same results with the proper blend of malt?
(thanks for the recipe info)

As far as this question, I hope that cost does not play a real factor in most people's decision to use sugar.

If you look at it from a craftsman's point of view sugar and every adjunct is a tool to achieve a purpose. The purpose of sugar most often is to boost ABV. There is nothing wrong with this as a motivator. You can only go so big with malt before you start going too heavy. In my experience the biggest mistake amateur brewers make is to go too malty and even (gasp) too hoppy.

When I build recipes I keep a close eye on the FG. This is the prime determining factor in whether people will go back for a second or third beer I believe. If I see my FG creeping up above 1.017 I am going to start thinking about adding a drying adjunct like sugar or honey.

It will lower the perceived heaviness of the malt and clean up the palate. I've got a 9.6% Belgian Strong in primary right now that needed a lot of sugar (2 pounds honey, 1 pound belgian light) just to balance the 17 pounds of malt in it.

Of course with all of that said I am a fan of simply crafting the recipe for balance and deliciousness and letting the ABV fall where it may.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #44
Endovelico
Recipes 

I bottled my first two mini batches some weeks ago, so i guess i will find out about this 'cidery flavour' myth.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #45
wowzers
Recipes 

I just made a batch using some leftover malt extract i had laying around. The total recipe was:

3.3lb gold Liquid extract
approximately 2lb or corn sugar
1oz cluster hops
coopers dry ale yeast

I just wanted to make a cheap beer with some stuff I had laying around. I will let you know if i get a "cidery" taste in this batch. Cheers.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #46
cmgreczyn
Recipes 

endovelico and wowzers, how did these batches turn out?

Fermenting: Otto's Orange Cream Ale, Dark Karo Apfelwein, House Money Red, Cream Ale
Bottled: Apfelwein, Dithyrambic Brown, Rauchbier, Antipodal Mead, Barkshack Mead (09/01/08), Sweet Mead
Enjoying: Mystery Brown , Nukey Brown, Lazy Magnolia Brown Clone, PP Southern Brown, Barkshack Ginger Mead (12/01/07)

Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #47
wowzers
Recipes 

I just put it in the keg about two hours ago. I sampled a small portion right away, and I am going to have to say it is terrible. Final verdict will have to come in a day or two, but right now it is absolutely "cidery". Will see how it taste ice cold and carbed though. Kind of sucks because I brewed it for a big concert this weekend and now I don't want to bring it.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #48
cmgreczyn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
and I am going to have to say it is terrible.
ouch. i've had some brews that i've just kind of thrown together with leftover stuff, not having a concept of how they'd turn out, and they seem to be similar in flavor to that stuff. maybe with some time though . . .

Fermenting: Otto's Orange Cream Ale, Dark Karo Apfelwein, House Money Red, Cream Ale
Bottled: Apfelwein, Dithyrambic Brown, Rauchbier, Antipodal Mead, Barkshack Mead (09/01/08), Sweet Mead
Enjoying: Mystery Brown , Nukey Brown, Lazy Magnolia Brown Clone, PP Southern Brown, Barkshack Ginger Mead (12/01/07)

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #49
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FWIW, I just finished drinking a two gallon batch of modified kit stout, brewed with about 25 percent adjunct sugars. It was brewed back on Oct. 3. Six weeks out, it was still distinctly sweet. By the time I got around to the last of it (a week ago) the taste was very dry with almost too little sweetness. And the yeast used is considered to be of low attenuation.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #50
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

while i agree that you can make perfectly good beer with cane/corn sugar, i do know after much reading (articles from ale street news, and the book "the beer diet") that all malt beers are healthier for you.

they say an all malt dark ale after dinner is excellent for your digestive system, and loaded with antioxidants and polyphenols.....
of course, this is just based on things i read, i'm not stating it as fact, just sharing what i have read.

life ain't nothin but burgers, beer and blastbeats

Last edited by BelgianWannabe; 12-09-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: correcting minor errors

Quick Reply