Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding Pecans to a Kit Nut Brown Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
MississippiSlim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Adding Pecans to a Kit Nut Brown Ale?

I have a NUt Brown Ale Extract Kit on its way for my first beer attempt. Was wondering if I could add Pecans to this and how and when?? Anyone done this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking for that Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale taste?
Try roasting the $#&@ out of them - I did 4 roastings at various temps until they were nice and dark.

Then I added them to the mash (when you steep any specialty grains). Pretty good pecan flavor.

If possible, you'll want to add some torrified wheat to add some more head retention. I think quick oats would work as well?

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
MississippiSlim
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You guessed it. I fell in love with that beer the first sip. Not that I wanna totally replicate it (as if I thought I could on my first time brewing) but would be cool if it had some of the same taste to some degree. I havent brewed my first batch of anything and I am already hooked on this hobby.....And this place makes me wanna really get into it deep.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup- tried this beer at GABF, and both SWMBO and I were like... wow. This tastes like Thanksgiving. So it's bottle conditioning right now, and should be ready to drink with the turkey.

Do some searching around here, you'll find a thread where one of the brewers chips in with his say on how to make it.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Quick Reply