Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding liqour to a pale ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
SudsItUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding liqour to a pale ale?

I'm fairly new to brewing (In fact I'm still using Mr.Beer). However, I am currently brewing a pale ale and I was wondering if anyone has added a type of liquor to any of their's for added flavor. I'm still fairly new to brewing so any help or direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm... Not to a pale ale. A RIS, perhaps... maybe others have suggestions.

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Old 12-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Uh...why???

Some beers like stouts and such might benefit from, lets say, bourbon soaked oak chips...but a pale ale? Why...isn't a good beer flavorful enough for you?

Don't mess with your first few beers...learn what the ingredients do on their own...learn about what goes into recipe creation...work on your process as a brewer...but don't f things up by experimenting until you actually know enough about what's going on to actually experiment and NOT RUIN A BATCH...Just dumping stuff together, especially on your first batch to "improve flavor" without knowing what the "flavor" is supposed to be to begin with, is NOT how to become a good brewer, or even to make good beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
SudsItUp
Recipes 

OK, that's what I was thinking, I was just wondering if anyone had ever done it. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

May I suggest you read this thread all the way through...it used to be a sticky..

But it has a lot of great advice in there (though some people don't know the difference between advice and opinion) there is some good information in there...you will see over and over and over about not massing with recipes or kits until you have a few batches under your belt and actually understand the process...this is like cooking...if you don't understand off hand how much salt is good in a dish you can ruin it..not knowing about how ingredients balance each other, just messing around will result in possible dumping of your hard earned money...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
SudsItUp
Recipes 

Thanks for the link. There is some great info there. I appreciate the advice.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Jeffro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Once the beer gets to a drinkable state, you just pour a glass of beer, then fill a shot glass with your favorite Canadian whiskey, or Scotch, or Bourbon, or Sour Mash... Doesn't really matter....

Now you simply take a sip of the whiskey, and a gulp of the beer...

Repeat as necessary...

Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Once the beer gets to a drinkable state, you just pour a glass of beer, then fill a shot glass with your favorite Canadian whiskey, or Scotch, or Bourbon, or Sour Mash... Doesn't really matter....

Now you simply take a sip of the whiskey, and a gulp of the beer...

Repeat as necessary...
Oh crap...what's that drink that ole timers used to drink in "shot and shell bars?" You dropped the shot o whiskey in the schooner of beer?

Boilermakers?

And why were they called that?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #9
Jeffro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Oh crap...what's that drink that ole timers used to drink in "shot and shell bars?" You dropped the shot o whiskey in the schooner of beer?

Boilermakers?

And why were they called that?
I don't know why they call them boilermakers, but I've never done the drop the shotglass in the beer method...

Just a sip of one, and a gulp of the other.

Just 3 years ago before I quit smoking the whiskey was R&R, and the beer was Rainier...

After I quit smoking I upgraded to Crown Royal and Mirror Pond because I figured that life was too short to drink cheap booze...

Then I started brewing my own beer just last year... Infact tomorrow I will celebrate the one year anniversary of pitching my first yeast.

Like I always say. Once I quit smoking I used that oportunity to take my alcoholism to a whole new level.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
M@!
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mmmmm boilermaker, that sounds good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilermaker_(cocktail) tons of variations here, car bombs are my favorite.

Quick Reply