Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > adding a fruit flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
city
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding a fruit flavor

ok so i have been brewing for awail now , working on 2 years now , almost lol, i've never put the fake flavoring in them , can i add some 1/2 threw second ferm , or will that start carb , like i said never used the stuff. im just trying to get a bit more flavor with out makeing a fake tast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Andrew5329
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it has sugar in it the yeast will ferment it. Though IMO most of those fruit flavor packets taste crummy in regular water, let alone mixed into beer.

If you want to do a fruit flavored beer, IMO do a secondary fermentation and add fruit to it.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts

I get the best flavor by adding real fruit to secondary then flavoring at the time of bottling. The fruit flavor seems very mild when I use only fruit and tastes fake when I use only flavoring. Adding fruit to secondary does make active fermentation startup again, so I make sure there's enough headspace. I haven't had any issues with over carbonating when I use flavoring, but you may want to check the sugar content of the flavoring you use.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The flavoring bottles are a very easy way to get the flavor you are looking for. Often times adding fruit will get you a true fruit flavor but not one as recognizable as the flavor in the little bottles. for instance maple syrup ferments out and leaves little flavor so instead I'd use maplene. Caution though... be sparing! those syrups and extracts are CONCENTRATED!!! use less than you think you need to use as you can always add more. I usually start with 1/4 bottle for 5 gal. sometimes step up to 1/2 - 3/4 after mixing and tasting previous additions. anyway good luck!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
NFamato
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchsj
The flavoring bottles are a very easy way to get the flavor you are looking for. Often times adding fruit will get you a true fruit flavor but not one as recognizable as the flavor in the little bottles. for instance maple syrup ferments out and leaves little flavor so instead I'd use maplene. Caution though... be sparing! those syrups and extracts are CONCENTRATED!!! use less than you think you need to use as you can always add more. I usually start with 1/4 bottle for 5 gal. sometimes step up to 1/2 - 3/4 after mixing and tasting previous additions. anyway good luck!
Just curious what size flavoring bottle you are using. I've have never done this before and I'm about to make my first attempt. I did buy a 4oz bottle of flavoring to add during bottling. It says to add the whole thing to a 5 gallon batch. Do you think 4 oz's is to much? Also how much sugar is in flavoring? My bottle does not say. Do I still add the same amount of corn sugar when bottling? I don't want to over carbonate.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts

I've added a full 2oz bottle of strawberry flavoring after doing a secondary fermentation with 5lbs of strawberries. I used 4.5 oz of corn sugar to carbonate and it it came out just like I wanted. The flavoring didn't seem to change the carbonation. I felt the strawberry flavor was well balanced. Not over powering but enough that people knew they were drinking a strawberry wheat beer.
edit: this was for a 5 gallon batch

Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 4oz bottles say to add the whole thing to 5 gal.... don't listen. Start with 1/4 and move up as you see fit. if it takes the whole thing to get it where you want it fine... But, you'd hate to ruin it. It's a personal thing, so slowly add it till you find the balance you desire. good luck!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
city
Recipes 

i have read about puting fuit in second ferm , and adding flavor when bottling , i think ill try that ty

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
NFamato
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool thanks for the info everyone

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
city
Recipes