Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding DME Directly to Primary/Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
mrphillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Adding DME Directly to Primary/Secondary

I would like to turn my IPA into a double, and I wanted to add 3 lbs. of DME to my Primary/Secondary to take my OG from 1.050 up to 1.082. Is this an idea that can work? I wasn't sure if I had to boil it or not. I forget if the enzymes/sugars in DME are already converted or not.

Granted, I could just brew another batch, but I'm impatient

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 310

the risk of adding it without boiling or otherwise sanitizing is the risk of infection.

be sure to consider how adding 32 points to the OG will change the balance of the beer.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Yes, you can do so, but I'm not sure how well the DME would dissolve into the beer. You could stir it, but you'd risk oxidizing the beer (although some of the oxygen you introduce will be scrubbed back out again by the yeast going to work on the newly-introduced sugars, but I have no idea how to quantify how much of that will occur). The main issue I see is throwing your beer out of balance. I'm assuming your beer's current bitterness was balanced with the malt profile and anticipated final ABV of the beer. Simply throwing more fermentables at it now, without a corresponding adjustment to the bitterness, will result in some sort of "Frankenstein" IPA. That said, it's your beer, and experimenting is half the fun of this hobby, so go for it if you want. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the risk of adding it without boiling or otherwise sanitizing is the risk of infection.
I think the risk of infection is negligible. There are recipes out there for clones of DFH's 120 Minute IPA which involve numerous (12+) additions of dextrose directly to the fermenter during fermentation, and infection is not a risk. Also, I think the resulting high-alcohol environment the OP is creating should also minimize the risk of any alcohol-intolerant infection from taking hold.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Agree with kombat. The problem isn't as much increased risk of infection as it is oxidation. Have you ever tried to stir DME into cool water? Also, simply adding 3lb of DME will throw off your malt/hop balance.

Mrphillips- one of the most valuable qualities of a good brewer is patience. It comes more easily once you have a good amount of homebrew on hand. Leave this batch alone. If you want to do a DIPA, brew it that way next time from the beginning.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
mrphillips
Recipes 

Well the main problem is that my beer WAS NOT balanced to start with. I accidently made 3 gallons instead of 2 (maybe I was enjoying a dew too many homebrews while brewing ), so now I have 76 IBUs in what will be a 5% beer without enough malt backbone. Thoughts?

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
Well the main problem is that my beer WAS NOT balanced to start with. I accidently made 3 gallons instead of 2 (maybe I was enjoying a dew too many homebrews while brewing ), so now I have 76 IBUs in what will be a 5% beer without enough malt backbone. Thoughts?
My first thought is - good thing it was only a 2 gallon recipe.

I cannot think of a good, workable solution for the current batch. Sorry.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
mrphillips
Recipes 

Think it'll be drinkable? Would adding .5-1pound of corn sugar be a viable option to make it a little more enjoyable?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphillips View Post
Think it'll be drinkable? Would adding .5-1pound of corn sugar be a viable option to make it a little more enjoyable?

Sugar will boost the ABV, but also tend to dry it out and make it even thinner-tasting. I'd simply let this one ride.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
JPrather
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I've seen a lot of people talk about making a second batch with the intention of blending it with a "messed up" batch. Seems like the best option here, even if it will force you to be a little more patient .

Quick Reply