The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding Anything with Less than 20 to go?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Dr1nkBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Adding Anything with Less than 20 to go?

I've DO it however alot of my buds and family would ask if i worry about infection. I tell them no... but got me thinking about hops orange peel seeds and flavorings that are normally added to the end (-20 min) if it could potentially introduce enouch bacteria for infection...

Personally i'm changing my recipes.. but just wondering what the thoughts are out there... my only response is i've never had it happen to me and i dont exactly know how to test or sanitize "corriander" before i add it...

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One way you could sanitize it is to soak it in some vodka first. However I think that's completely unnecessary. You don't need to boil something for a full 20 minutes to keep it sanitized...a few minutes will do the trick unless of course you're putting some insanely dirty surface with tons of contours in your wort. As for your standard brewing ingredients I wouldn't lose any sleep over late additions of ingredients.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's still boiling "less than 20" and will be above pasturization temps for at least 15-20 minutes AFTER flameout while you're cooling. Your really don't need to sweat this, you're family doesn't need to sweat this...people have been doing "flameout" additions for probably hundreds of years of brewing, and it's not been an issue...

And even if there were an 'infection" issue which would be extremely rare, since nothing pathogenic can grow in out beer, it wouldn't be the kind of "infection" that could harm you....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
theo1069
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm confused? Are we talking 20 minutes left in the boil? Cause thats when I (and I thought everyone) add flavoring hops? Most of my recipes have either a 5 min or flameout addition.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you add them any earlier in the boil, you'll be driving off a lot of those aromatics that you get from late additions. Also, do you use an immersion chiller? If so, you're probably adding that without about 15 minutes left in the boil anyway...at least that's what I do (as well as most others that use an IC). Don't sweat it.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1297

Additions of 20mins or less are very common,& you won't get an infection from doing it. That includes citrus zest,coriander seed,spices,etc. There is nothing to worry about I & many others on here do it all the time. No need to boil the snot out of it for an hour. The temp at that point is still 212F or so. A few minutes is plenty for those late additions.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo1069 View Post
I'm confused? Are we talking 20 minutes left in the boil? Cause thats when I (and I thought everyone) add flavoring hops? Most of my recipes have either a 5 min or flameout addition.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question?
That's what I'm thinking he means. A lot of things state that to sterilize or pasturize you have to hold the temp or boil for 15 minutes, so I think his folks are worried that whatever gets added won't be...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
rellot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm getting a whole lot less worried about sanitation. Of course I clean everything very well (with oxyclean) and follow general sanitation principles. I starsan everything after the boil.

But I figure we put in so much yeast compared to other bugs in there (I always use Jamil's suggested size starters), that the other bugs don't have much of a chance to do anything of consequence.

I've never had any problems. I used to get paranoid, but I have noticed when I forget something here and there, it never really matters. But maybe I just have always used good general sanitation technique. I have heard of others who do have problems with infections, but never have experienced it.

It's so cliche, but RDWHAHB.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Dont get me wrong... Most of my best beers have late additions...

I just wondered how everyone else felt regarding the late additions and dry hopping.. I will never stop dry hopping...

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Most of my hops go in after 20. I put in things like orange peel and corriander at 10. Hopsand sometime honey and LME/DME at flameout and dry hop all the time.

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply