Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > addiction?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
fretsforlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started in January with Mr. Beer. I have since upgraded to 5 gallon. I bottled 5 galls of Oktoberfest yesterday, drank my first batch, have a mr. beer BrewHAHA conditioning, have another one to brew tonight, and I brewed a 5 gal. of honey oatmeal stout last night. A friend of mine said that if he catches me with over 100 gallons in my house, he's calling the feds! hahahaha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

My current inventory....

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning.....Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,) Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager
Assorted bottles of nearly everything I have ever brewed, at least one of each batch, and some apfelwein......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsforlife View Post
I just started in January with Mr. Beer. I have since upgraded to 5 gallon. I bottled 5 galls of Oktoberfest yesterday, drank my first batch, have a mr. beer BrewHAHA conditioning, have another one to brew tonight, and I brewed a 5 gal. of honey oatmeal stout last night. A friend of mine said that if he catches me with over 100 gallons in my house, he's calling the feds! hahahaha
Tell him that's not funny I went from 0 gallons to over 80 gallons in three months. It has since stabilized at a more reasonable level but still.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
fretsforlife
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Tell him that's not funny I went from 0 gallons to over 80 gallons in three months. It has since stabilized at a more reasonable level but still.
dontman, I wish you were my next door neighbor!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
aaronbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i hope to god that you are kegging that 80 gal! That would be like 3600 bottles to find, clean, and then bottle!!!!!!!!! My project for the summer is to build a three tap kegerator!!!!!!!! That way I will only bottle things like cider, mead, and other novelistic drinks.

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbeer View Post
i hope to god that you are kegging that 80 gal! That would be like 3600 bottles to find, clean, and then bottle!!!!!!!!! My project for the summer is to build a three tap kegerator!!!!!!!! That way I will only bottle things like cider, mead, and other novelistic drinks.

(Actually its only 800 or so. Still a pita but not as bad as 3600)

The nice thing is to get to a point in your pipeline where you are glancing through your BeerSmith brew log and realize that you have a beer that you have not even tried yet and it has been in bottle over 6 weeks. This happened to me this weekend. The beer was farging delicious.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
bermod
Recipes 

Count me in. Made my first AG, a porter, few months ago, and ATM I have MO-Centennial SMaSH carbing in bottles and IPA in a primary

Here's a picture of that porter, three weeks in a bottle. Not fully carbed yet, and after 30 seconds there were no head anymore... but it tasted good already

Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #18
mania83
Recipes 

I would say its an addiction. I always need to make a batch and i am always looking for my next beer to brew.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #19
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
My current inventory....

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning.....Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,) Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager
Assorted bottles of nearly everything I have ever brewed, at least one of each batch, and some apfelwein......

Revvy, is the recipe for the chocolate mole porter posted somewhere? That sounds interesting. I would love to know how it comes out.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp36 View Post

Revvy, is the recipe for the chocolate mole porter posted somewhere? That sounds interesting. I would love to know how it comes out.
No...it's an experiment...I don't tend to post recipes like that until they're "ready."

But....Here's roughly what it is... 2.5 gallon recipe...

Amount Item Type
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain

Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 8.13 qt of water at 170.5 F
45 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.21 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 1.47 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 2.93 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.060 SG with all grains/extracts added

75 min 2.1 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
60 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.25 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (2 min) Hops

2.5 disks Abuelita Brand Mexican Hot Chocolate + 1 tsp my chili powder in Mash tun. 1/4 disk @ 40 and 1/4 disk + 1 tsp Cayene pepper @ 2 minutes.

I won't vouch anything to how this recipe will be yet....I had a bottle by accident after 2 weeks in bottle...and the pepper burned...but it had no head yet, and no chocolate aroma...we'll see in a few weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply