Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Actual REAL Breakfast Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

OK...Its on. Just got back from my brew club meeting and we are having a stout and porter competition with some neighboring clubs. I'm doing an american coffee and maple stout and am not going to mess around. I am formulating the recipe but will share for some feedback. The hops are the most puzzling to me. Im thinking of northern brewer or chinook for bittering with Willamette for aroma. Any advice? I realize some bitterness will come from the coffee but I prefer hop forward beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #22
djonas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think he hops you mentioned are classic American stout hops. Thumbs up from me! Other varieties could work like Goldings or Columbus, as long as they are not too fruity for your particular beer. I wonder of Bramling Cross could fit in?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #23
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have had the Rouge Voodoo and it is best to share with someone that REALLY likes smoked beers. I like me some strong smoke beers but a 22oz bomber of this to myself may be tough to finish. I liked the beer but it really tasted like smoke, not smoked bacon, with a nice maple syrup finish.

I also make a caffeinated, caramel, chocolate, coffee stout for 1st breakfast when camping or hunting similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. I would NOT recommend more than 1 12 oz. bottle at a time. I HIGHLY recommend it with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs w/ cheese cooked over a campfire.

I LOVE the idea of breakfast beers but I think the idea can get itself into trouble FAST. My advise is think how to pair it. No one wants to skip a meal and drink on an empty stomach still groggy from bed. I think if it was paired with food it can open more doors while shutting ones that should be left shut.

Want to try something outlandish? Have a toasted blueberry bagel with plain cream cheese or, if you can find some, a nice spreadable goat cheese paired with a plain geuze or non-fruity, strong sour for breakfast.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Type: All Grain Date: 9/16/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.24 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment..for now
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal Est Mash Efficiency 76.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.4 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.5 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
6.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.8 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 52.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 10.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

2.5 oz ground french roast added in bag at flameout
40 oz maple syrup, racked on top of in primary
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG 1.074 ish with syrup
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 62.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 42.5 SRM

Im thinking of ditching the maple syrup, using more two row and pure maple extract instead

And I plan to mash high at 156-158

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I agree with
Zamial,who finally mentioned the Pink Pepto bottled beer. I think I would have liked it better paired,like with a bacon mapledoughnut which I actually seen VideoBeerReveiwGuy do a reveiw with. Some beers are just meant for that.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodskreet View Post
I like Yoopers homebrew competition rules by not being to style by BJCP. If I were to try this I think OJ would be a nice twist to a stout. IDK to each his own

And Yooper would you use the Captain Crunch with crunch berries or without?
I would use hops to achieve the fruity flavors. Nelson Sauvin and Cascade might get the right aroma- combining Nelson Sauvin's white grape-like qualities with Cascade's grapefruit/citrus should create a flavoer reminiscent of either Berry or even of OJ, which the OP mentions.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

I don't think breakfast flavors would be good in a beer, but I am hungry for breakfast foods now!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I have had the Rouge Voodoo and it is best to share with someone that REALLY likes smoked beers. I like me some strong smoke beers but a 22oz bomber of this to myself may be tough to finish. I liked the beer but it really tasted like smoke, not smoked bacon, with a nice maple syrup finish.

I also make a caffeinated, caramel, chocolate, coffee stout for 1st breakfast when camping or hunting similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. I would NOT recommend more than 1 12 oz. bottle at a time. I HIGHLY recommend it with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs w/ cheese cooked over a campfire.

I LOVE the idea of breakfast beers but I think the idea can get itself into trouble FAST. My advise is think how to pair it. No one wants to skip a meal and drink on an empty stomach still groggy from bed. I think if it was paired with food it can open more doors while shutting ones that should be left shut.

Want to try something outlandish? Have a toasted blueberry bagel with plain cream cheese or, if you can find some, a nice spreadable goat cheese paired with a plain geuze or non-fruity, strong sour for breakfast.
I bought the Voodoo and I hated it. I gave it to 5 other people to try and it was unanimous. Blech. It inspired my thread on the worst commercial craft brews. To each his own, though.

Quick Reply