Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Actual REAL Breakfast Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
jrodskreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Actual REAL Breakfast Stout

Yesterday I was watching some of Northern Brewers Brewtv, and I watched the Dogfish head tours and Interviews. The Master brewer there mentioned briefly about a Real Breakfast Stout with real Breakfast flavors. ie; orange juice, oatmeal, pancakes, syrup, coffee, and bacon.

Has anybody else thought about this? I searched the forums and only found one thread that died pretty fast.

Would all of these flavors marry well together if done right or would it just be too much going on?

I mean everything makes sense in a stout except the orange juice and bacon. That would just throw your tastebuds a curve. I might wanna try something like this if it's not just an awful idea. Any other flavors that are "breakfast-y"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I agree that OJ and bacon probably wouldn't fly with this one. However you could do a breakfast stout with oatmeal, coffee, and perhaps some maple syrup or lactose sugar (milk sugar) added. However, the maple would thin and dry out the beer, whereas lactose would sweeten it so it depends on what flavor you're after.

Cheers!

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodskreet View Post
Yesterday I was watching some of Northern Brewers Brewtv, and I watched the Dogfish head tours and Interviews. The Master brewer there mentioned briefly about a Real Breakfast Stout with real Breakfast flavors. ie; orange juice, oatmeal, pancakes, syrup, coffee, and bacon.
this is why you don't listen to trendy US breweries trying to out weird each other for market share

Quote:
Would all of these flavors marry well together if done right or would it just be too much going on?
no they wouldn't.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
this is why you don't listen to trendy US breweries trying to out weird each other for market share
Yeah, I haven't been impressed with many of Sam's "What if..." beers. His straightforward non-weird stuff is good, though.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

We have a local brew competition each winter, for stouts. It's not BJCP and anything goes, with high points for creativity. I judged it last year, and had a blast. There were some odd beers- French Onion Stout, Rosemary Stout, Coffee Cream Brule Stout, etc.

After thatr, I thought long and hard about how to do this competition, and that is exactly what I came up with- Breakfast Stout. No OJ, though! I thought I'd use Captain Crunch cereal in the mash, along with some oats. I planned on maple syrup, and rauchmalt (for the bacon).

I ended up never making the beer, since the competition this winter will be while we are gone to Texas. But that's where I'd start!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 909 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We have a local brew competition each winter, for stouts. It's not BJCP and anything goes, with high points for creativity. I judged it last year, and had a blast. There were some odd beers- French Onion Stout, Rosemary Stout, Coffee Cream Brule Stout, etc.

After thatr, I thought long and hard about how to do this competition, and that is exactly what I came up with- Breakfast Stout. No OJ, though! I thought I'd use Captain Crunch cereal in the mash, along with some oats. I planned on maple syrup, and rauchmalt (for the bacon).

I ended up never making the beer, since the competition this winter will be while we are gone to Texas. But that's where I'd start!
Captain Crunch sounds interesting. I bet someone's done that...off to the search function. My list of brews to try keeps growing, thank god for one gallon small batch brewing.

[edit: Yikes, there are tons of threads about using captain crunch...more reading for me]

Board of Directors, California Homebrewers Association
albert@calhomebrewers.org

Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
Captain Crunch sounds interesting. I bet someone's done that...off to the search function. My list of brews to try keeps growing, thank god for one gallon small batch brewing.

[edit: Yikes, there are tons of threads about using captain crunch...more reading for me]
haha, sorry to give you so much "homework"!

But you could also use cheerios, I bet! The oat bran in that might be very interesting! Of course, that gives a whole new meaning to "cereal mash".

I figure I've used flaked maize, and I know others have used popcorn, so why not some cereal?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
djonas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think a test batch would be a good idea. Some kid I know tried this but the final product was more like a weak porter than a stout with coffee and a bit of smoke dominating the palate. The ingredients to make it resemble breakfast included coffee, smoked malt, cooked bacon, chocolate, and maple syrup.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like Yoopers homebrew competition rules by not being to style by BJCP. If I were to try this I think OJ would be a nice twist to a stout. IDK to each his own

And Yooper would you use the Captain Crunch with crunch berries or without?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodskreet View Post
I like Yoopers homebrew competition rules by not being to style by BJCP. If I were to try this I think OJ would be a nice twist to a stout. IDK to each his own

And Yooper would you use the Captain Crunch with crunch berries or without?
Without! I hate fruit in my beer.

Fermented OJ might be kinda barfy, as I picture it tasting like OJ left out on the counter for two days. But you know, I've seen people make orange wine and it comes out really good. It would be worth a try, anyway!

Quick Reply