Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > ABV in Bottle vs Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Fire-Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ABV in Bottle vs Keg

I am looking for input in regard to any increased ABV due to priming sugar additions when bottling a home brew. I am not sure it is much, but it seems to me that there should be some increase. If I brew a batch, keg 1/2 and bottle the other 1/2 with priming sugar, would the bottles have a higher ABV?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You're talking 5 ounces of sugar to a 5 gallon batch....do you REALLY think a few grams in each bottle is going to contribute all that much to the beer?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1134 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Bottles will have a negligible amount more alcohol. You essentially are only adding something like half a tsp of added sugar so you really will not notice much difference. Just think of it as you adding the 4 oz or so of corn sugar to the grain bill for the bottles.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

if you figure a 2 point drop is required to carb up to around 2.5 volumes you're looking at an increase of .2% abv

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you plug 5 ounces of priming sugar into a recipe calculator you will see that it contributes .003 gravity points to the beer. Is that a significant amount? Not to me it is.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

you're right it's not a significant amount but it is an increase of .2%-.3% to answer their question.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout
Jeff180 Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Fire-Brew
Recipes 

I appreciate everyone's contributions here. To answer Revvy's question, no, I did not think it would be much, but I assumed it would be SOMETHING. By looking at Jester's math, it appears that I was onto something. I realize it is minimal, but as I attempt to recreate some of my recipes, the more detailed my numbers, the better I will see just how close I came.
Thanks again to each of you.

Quick Reply