Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > About the cloudy beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Kodatech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default About the cloudy beer...

I know I am new to homebrewing, and to this forum, and maybe the veterans will change my mind....So try not to flame me too bad....

Is there anyone that actually PREFERS their beer a bit cloudy? I know...I'm strange.

There is something nice about a crystal clear glass of beer bubbling nicely, but isn't there something nice about a slightly imperfect cloudyness too?

...As long as the taste is great I mean!

Just interested in others opinions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Chill haze (which I think is what you are talking about) is tasteless and will not affect how your beer is sensed on your palate. The only time I would be worried about chill haze or the general cloudiness of a beer is if you are entering a competition. Depending on the style you enter your beer, you would want either a clear beer or a cloudy one.

I personally spend the extra 10 seconds to pour some poly-clar into my beer if I am entering a comp for something like a pale ale. If I am entering a wheat beer, I actually spend the extra 10 seconds to throw some flour at the end of the boil to make sure I get some haziness.

Some people say that they can get crystal clear beer without any finnings, that's totally cool but for my process I dont get "crystal clear" beer without adding gelatin or poly clar...even if I cold crash.

I guess, in a round about way, Im saying its personal preference. But if you get your clarity right, you can gain 1-2 extra points in a comp.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Kodatech
Recipes 

Thats cool. I have never entered a competition, I just like to make good tasting beer for less money than average store bought beer.

I don't have the room for a lot of equpment in my current home. For things like wort chillers or anything like that. Maybe once the housing market recovers a touch I can sell this one, and move to a house that is more homebrew-friendly.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I made a creme ale and since the lhbs was out of carapils I put oatmeal in the mash for head retention, realizing that it would not clear. I liked it so well that I made another batch just like it. Clarity is for competitions, taste is for me.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I don't care if it is cloudy - how does it taste - that's what matters

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Kodatech
Recipes 

OK im glad im not the only one. I may try for a super clear batch some time...but right now im liking brewing and tasting!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Don't fool yourself, if it's cloudy it's usually a flaw unless the style calls for it. The 1st taste is always with the eye. I mean if I serve you a delicious sandwich but looks like it came out of a trash can you'd enjoy it a bit less. No?

When you're new to brewing, you just want to take "the high road" and just go by how it tastes. As you progress, every variable matters and you want your beers to be perfect (and there is always something that could be improved). All part of the obsession IMO.

**puts on flame resistant suit**

Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

All are allowed their opinions - I've been brewing for 23 years, and I've heard lots of them - if it makes you happy, then you're on the right track - if you want to enter a competition then it matters - if you and your buds like it, rock on!

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last time I poured a HotD Blue Dot and a Stone Ruination, they were both cloudy as hell. On certain beers (mostly big IPAs) I do actually like it. I don't think those brewers are concerned that some BJCP judge might ding them a few points for appearance.

I've played around a little bit with gelatin, but mostly have decided that it's pointless.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Chinay is one of my favorite beers so I have always been found of cloudy ones. I actually prefer cloudiness in beer. Ever since i started hombrewing I feel that clear beers somehow have less. Taste is paramount though. And there is something to be said for being able to view all of the bubbles in a glass

Quick Reply