Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > About AB InBev trying to take over beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
KEG99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think the strength of the well written article allowed us to forget dude00's first line. I didn't think he was trying to take credit at all. But I do admit being caught up in the article and then forgetting the very first sentence. Too many other sentences to think about as I read!

Thanks dude00 for bringing the article to our attention.

I'm going to subscribe to Aleheads. I found lots more good articles there, and never even knew it existed until now. I suggest ya'll take a look. Seems like a good place to develop more craft brew ideas. And I especially like the article on St. Louis brew pubs - my home town!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
AnthonyCB
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The power of several large brewing groups has more or less closed the market for craft brewers in France (and several other European nations). Virtually all beer available in bars comes from one of three companies (at an exorbitantly high price). Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market by getting bar owners to sign exclusive agreements.

Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers. While I tend to agree that the likelihood of this happening in the US market is slim, they are preventing the growth and birth of countless craft brewers outside of the US.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #23
redjameskidd
Recipes 

Yeah, take it easy guys, a link got posted eventually. We don't care. This is coming both from:

A: A writer for that site, and
B: A professional print journalist.

I think it will be okay.

- Kid Carboy Jr.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
redjameskidd
Recipes 

Hell, we're just happy when anybody reads our crap.

- Kid Carboy Jr.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjameskidd View Post
Hell, we're just happy when anybody reads our crap.

- Kid Carboy Jr.
Your article has definitely made for some interesting reading and some thought provoking conversation

Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #26
KEG99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCB View Post
Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market ... Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners.
This is an phenom. Wasn't aware it was occurring and, personally, don't think it is all that far fetched from happening here. Sounds more like something that would have fostered itself under our own system. Heck, I had a friend who got a beer distributorship from AB (back in the day) that was completely exclusive. Territories were set. No one could buy AB beer from anyone else in that territory. Who's to say this model couldn't evolve similar to the French model, with a slow start to certain "perks" and with eventual control due to owner's needing the "assistance".

My point is that we should be cognizant of possibilities and stay politically active. Not what hoembrewers want, but if, as Kid carboy points out in his article, the market share is only so big and craft beer is the only segment growing, you either control craft beer or you shut them out.

Hey, I don't care to be calling my senator, but if my passion is going to be stepped on, then I'm going to not only call but I'll knock on his door.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers.
This has been happening in England for years

Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

the article claims that the massive 30% loss of domestic sales stems from craft beer. we would all love this to be true, but rudimentary math proves it to be incorrect. 30% of AB sales is 25% more sales than craft beer currently scores.
this is due to the propensity of decent cheap wine. there is one beverage that has enjoyed far more growth in the last twenty years than craft beer, and that is wine.
personally, i love them both and am happy. i have tasty beer/dry cider for during the day early evening, then wine after dark. perfect.
i don't give a poop what the BMC's do, as long as they keep as many of my neighbors employed as they can. hot summer day, sitting in a fishing boat, the only thing going is my belly is busch beer.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
joelmole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCB View Post
The power of several large brewing groups has more or less closed the market for craft brewers in France (and several other European nations). Virtually all beer available in bars comes from one of three companies (at an exorbitantly high price). Carlsburg group, InBev and Heineken completely dominate the market by getting bar owners to sign exclusive agreements.

Why would the owners agree to do this? Each of these companies has a group which specializes in providing loans, legal advice and other services to prospective bar owners. If you sign the a deal with one of the three bland devils you get access to these substantial resources at the price of only carrying their beers. While I tend to agree that the likelihood of this happening in the US market is slim, they are preventing the growth and birth of countless craft brewers outside of the US.
Isn't this illegal in the U.S.? Isn't that the definition of a tied house?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #30
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG99 View Post
This is an phenom. Wasn't aware it was occurring and, personally, don't think it is all that far fetched from happening here.
It DOES happen here. If you are opening a bar, InBev will be more than happy to set you up with a draft system free of charge, provided you sign a contract guaranteeing to serve their products.

Quick Reply