Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > AB In-Bev trademarking area codes..Is yours on the list?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Didn't intel corp get in a fight about the letter 'e' ? ...as in, they thought they owned it... silly billy intel; everybody knows that Microsoft owns the letter 'e' !

How can anyone own something so riducioukls? Whoever owns that old letter 'e' ought be required to make reparation to the italians, they kinda invented the latin alphabet didn't they? (oh that's right, they stole it from those other folks that lived in the back lot... sumeria or something).

Now where did I put that numeral 1? Ohhh, yeah, you's guys stole it for your keyboards. Maybe I should get some money for that??? I mean, it's mine you know, as in, "you owe me money dude"!

- M

ps. in case you're wondering, it's actually the letter 'i' which intel owns. *Sigh* Who would believe a company could own a letter like 'e' - it's so much more free and easy going.
Is that why the letter i or e is never the letter of the day on Seaseme Street anymore Damn big corporations screwing with our childrens education and futures

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #22
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hmm, you would think they would add the St. Louis area code just for old times sake. Mine is actually on there, wonder if they are trying to get in on the San Diego county craft beer drinkers to drink whatever crap they bottle just because it has the same area code. ok yah, I'll probably try one

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #23
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If I were a pro in any of the areas this affects I'd immediately release a beer named for the area code just to f*c& with the process. I'm not a lawyer but doesn't part of the application process for a patent require that there isn't already a product with that name? Or would the creation of the beer have to predate the patent application?

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #24
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pittsburgher here. I'm curious to see exactly what they do with the 412 area code.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #25
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
If I were a pro in any of the areas this affects I'd immediately release a beer named for the area code just to f*c& with the process. I'm not a lawyer but doesn't part of the application process for a patent require that there isn't already a product with that name? Or would the creation of the beer have to predate the patent application?
You are mixing patents with trademarks. Patents are inventions; trademarks are marketing adjectives. "312 beer".

When you put a "tm" on an adjective, you are notifying everyone that you intend to use this as a trademark. To get a "registered" trademark (the R inside of a circle) takes a bit more, and usually some time.

Beer companies apparently feel they can sell more by producing the same beer under different labels. I was in a supermarket on the west coast last week, and found two different IPAs I'd never tasted, so I bought a six pack of each. They were the same beer, pretty pathetic IPAs, IMHO, and both were brewed by Firestone-Walker. But different "brands".

I suspect this is the same thing, although I do think it's rather deceiving to use an area code, implying a localized beer, unless it really is!

Whether they will be successful is anyone's guess.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #26
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lots of paranoia and confusion about Intellectual Property Law running in this thread. A few points:

Trademarks are always registered with respect to certain wares (goods or services) so when In-Bev registers 312 or any other number they will list "beer, beer glasses, tap handles" and about a dozen other similar items they want to protect. Then no one else may use the number 312 to sell beer or on those items but fear not the local boy scouts may be "troop 312" and "312 auto-repair" would still be permitted names. In-Bev does not own the number 312 outright but can merely stop others from using the number in certain situations.

Generally speaking you can't trademark a last name, word, series of numbers etc. because they are so common. In order to do so you have to show some use of the number and some association between the product and the number/word in consumers minds. This will be easy enough for 312 where they will be able to show it's been used in conjunction with the beer for some time, the other numbers will be more difficult.

Yes its a marketing ploy, In-Bev likely intends to create a new line of beers with these numbers and is stopping other companies from using the same numbers in marketing their beers to protect themselves against consumer confusion its kinda cheezy but not cheezier than a hundred other marketing campaigns I've seen by a hundred other companies.

on an unrelated point intel does not "own the letter i" rather they own the right to use a very specific font "i" and that right allows them to protect others from using that "i". This is VERY common in trademarks any company that has a 1 letter symbol has that particular font trademarked. Sports teams are a great example the Cubs, Reds, Red Sox, Bruins, Packers, Georgia Bulldogs etc. etc. etc. all have their specific 1 letter logos trademarked again they don't "own the letter" rather they have the right to use a very specific shaped letter and stop others from using it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #27
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How about this:

WHO CARES ABOUT THE NAME. You guys must decide which beer to drink like SWMBO does, by the name!

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I hope they go after 505. Then all of the little homies and gangbangers with 505 tattooed on the back of their head in this state would end up being unpaid advertisers. It would be a brilliant marketing scheme on In-Bev's part. They just need to put the numbers in Old English font.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
Agentaaron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog_Si_Reeb
I hope they go after 505. Then all of the little homies and gangbangers with 505 tattooed on the back of their head in this state would end up being unpaid advertisers. It would be a brilliant marketing scheme on In-Bev's part. They just need to put the numbers in Old English font.

Haha...that would be funny as there are quite a few of them, but please don't think that everyone in the 505 is that way.

The term "five oh five" used to be pretty synonymous with New Mexico. Now that they changed the area codes up north and down south...I feel sorry for all the homies in those areas with the stamp.

On the topic...I don't really care what BMC companies do, I brew the beer I drink 95% of the time. When I do buy beer, its because I take one of my empty cornies to a local brewery and have them fill it for me. The only time I purchase commercial beer is when we go to the lake or camping...at that point I'm shooting for quantity over quality.

give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour...teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #30
KozHops
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just saw this in the paper a few days ago. There is also a website and twitter account up for 215 beer.

Here's the link from the paper if anyone is interested: http://www.philly.com/philly/food/dr...cal_brews.html

Quick Reply