Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > AB In-Bev trademarking area codes..Is yours on the list?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
Not to defent In-Bev too much, but I don't think they're just trying to trademark anything they possibly can (I didn't read the article by the way). Goose Island, which they bought recently has a beer called 312, and I'm assuming they will call it the different area codes in different markets.
Thats how I see it. Don't see what the big deal is.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

That's part of the problem. Nobody sees it till it's too late. Not to call names or impune any of you. I just see this for what it really is. An excuse to wield more power. More control. They can just leave it at "312",since that name denotes where it came from originally. If it were me,that's sure as hell what I'd tell them.
I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw their bullet riddled corpses. It's the same corporate clone mentality from our government to the big bankers controlling them & big business. Damn,I need a beer...hey,wait a tick...isn't that what we were talking about? Dang,...I better have a shot with that.............

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's part of the problem. Nobody sees it till it's too late. Not to call names or impune any of you. I just see this for what it really is. An excuse to wield more power. More control. They can just leave it at "312",since that name denotes where it came from originally. If it were me,that's sure as hell what I'd tell them.
I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw their bullet riddled corpses. It's the same corporate clone mentality from our government to the big bankers controlling them & big business. Damn,I need a beer...hey,wait a tick...isn't that what we were talking about? Dang,...I better have a shot with that.............
why are you so paranoid? They're not trying to take away your homebrew.

I dont get why people are so scared of big corporations. A corporation, such as in-bev, is nothing more than a piece of paper. In-bev employs thousands of people, thousands of people have a chance to feed their families with their salaries, they offer a decent beverage at a cheap price, and create a profits for their shareholders, the majority of which is funds- which are people's retirements and life savings. They're not hurting anybody, they arent killing any babies or clubing any seals. Just like the individual bankers at Lehman were doing nothing than trying to feed their families. Nobody tried to bring down the economy.

The whole idea to use area codes, probably came from some regular guy, in St Louis, who makes 65k and can barely afford to pay for his house, wife and kids. Everybody is just trying to get by.

If you have a problem with Bud, and their influence they have on policies through their donations to politicians, then blame the representatives that you elected as their ultimately responsible for the laws they pass.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a problem with a lot of the actions of BMC trying to impede craft breweries, but I really don't see how this is the same?

I heart sour beer

Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
HopEd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I read about this story in the Chicago Tribune a couple of days ago. In the article is says that 312 is Goose Islands top seller and that it was the #2 craft beer in Chicago in 2009. Ever since I started home brewing I don't like Goose's Honkers Ale anymore and I think that 312 is a weak attempt at 3 Floyd's Gumballhead. I've never tried Bud's Wheat Ale and Shocktop doesn't do it for me. This must be In-Bev/Bud's attempted at trying to corner the craft wheat market. They are going to do what they do. Good luck to them. I can always make my own wheat ale and there are plenty of true craft options out there.

Bottled: Imperial Stout, Pecan Pie Porter, Scottish Ale, Milk Stout
Kegged: Celebration Ale, Scotoberfest

Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I don't see how they can trademark an area code. 412 means a lot to Pittsburgh folks. For an outside company to come in and market their crap with our own area code I dunno I think it sounds retarded and I hope it doesn't go through. I have belonged to 412DNB for years. It is something that means something to us. Not dollar signs. I think it sucks.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I dunno, not really a big deal to me - a waste of money for a gimmick. Anyone remember those college town color cans? The reason I feel its a gimmick? Because, even as the article says, seems like they are targeting beer-savvy towns. Which by definition would probably not be the cities to go after.

You can put any picture or name on a bottle or can, but that does not change the product inside. Even if someone buys something the first time because they were caught by the advertising, they wouldn't continue buying something they didn't like.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

A lot of paranoia here regarding In-Bev. We all make our own beer, so what is the issue? Also, I think that the Craft Brew industry is continuing to grow. New Microbrewery's opening up here in Indy every month or two.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I thought you could not trademark numbers? Isn't that the reason for the change from ...266, 386, 486 to Pentium. So Intel could trademark the naem of their chip.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
Rip
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Didn't intel corp get in a fight about the letter 'e' ? ...as in, they thought they owned it... silly billy intel; everybody knows that Microsoft owns the letter 'e' !

How can anyone own something so riducioukls? Whoever owns that old letter 'e' ought be required to make reparation to the italians, they kinda invented the latin alphabet didn't they? (oh that's right, they stole it from those other folks that lived in the back lot... sumeria or something).

Now where did I put that numeral 1? Ohhh, yeah, you's guys stole it for your keyboards. Maybe I should get some money for that??? I mean, it's mine you know, as in, "you owe me money dude"!

- M

ps. in case you're wondering, it's actually the letter 'i' which intel owns. *Sigh* Who would believe a company could own a letter like 'e' - it's so much more free and easy going.

Quick Reply