Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 7 days, almost no carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHeff View Post
I bottled 9 days ago. ....
And THIS is why your beer isn't carbed yet....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

And boom goes the dynamite

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
I had a feeling, too, that I was getting a bit ansy. This is probably the worst part about brewing...waiting...waiting...waiting.
Patience is a vital skill for homebrewing.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I had a feeling, too, that I was getting a bit ansy. This is probably the worst part about brewing...waiting...waiting...waiting.
Home brewing is basically just waiting and cleaning. If you dont like the waiting, hopefully you like the cleaning
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Home brewing is basically just waiting and cleaning. If you dont like the waiting, hopefully you like the cleaning
THIS!!! And wearing facial hair.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

SoupNazi Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
SteveHeff
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 252

I have some others sitting in the basement currently, that I brewed 4 months ago. I have an oatmeal chocolate stout, which took around 3 weeks to carb up, but has really mellowed over the last few months. So, I do understand the timing and waiting aspect. HOWEVER, this process has been MUCH slower in this batch vs other batches. This even includes my Belgian Dubbel I brewed almost 2 years ago. I guess I was just disappointed with the rate at which this was happening. I do understand the process of yeast eats sugar and carbs up beer. Maybe it was a lack of defining what I really wanted answered that got me here.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
I have some others sitting in the basement currently, that I brewed 4 months ago. I have an oatmeal chocolate stout, which took around 3 weeks to carb up, but has really mellowed over the last few months. So, I do understand the timing and waiting aspect. HOWEVER, this process has been MUCH slower in this batch vs other batches. This even includes my Belgian Dubbel I brewed almost 2 years ago. I guess I was just disappointed with the rate at which this was happening. I do understand the process of yeast eats sugar and carbs up beer. Maybe it was a lack of defining what I really wanted answered that got me here.
Okay... but three weeks versus nine days should tell you a lot right there. And nine days at cold temps... oi.

There are dozens of these threads every week. Three weeks at seventy degrees is the baseline. If you go colder, expect it to be slower - maybe even much slower, or not at all (as Yooper stated).

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply