Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5th Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
gp125racer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5th Brew

I intended for this to be a pictoral, but I got distracted by my dogs and the daughter multiple times during the brew so I didnt get pics from some parts of the process Id of liked too.

This is my first stout, and Im calling it "Thieving hour brew" as it was about 4:30am before I got to bed on brew night.

The 'kit' that I purchased from the MoreBeer aka B3 retail store in Concord, CA (Nice fellas and products that have worked well for me so far). I changed the hop schedule a bit, and added a bit more honey then then called for. My first departure from the 'recipe' provided with the kit:

All Sanitized and ready to go. I love the aeration stone I hooked up to the aquarium pump. Reduces lag times a ton!

Partial Mash ... My version of "steeping" the grain:

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Jim Rossi Honey Pale Ale
Next Up: Researching....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
gp125racer
Recipes 

Default Part 2

After a 30 min steep, 2 hop additions, and 45 mins of boil its about time for some honey!

I didnt get a shot of the beer (which is very dark), aeration process (which is just sticking a hose in the carboy), or the cooling (which is done in the sink), but here we are about 5 days later. Fermentation is slowing down a little, and the krausen started to drop this afternoon:

And a bonus shot of the hefe (fireweizen) as I learned that DME is indeed flammable from that experience. Its a little chilly out in the garage:

Next time Ill be more detailed with the pics I promise

-=gp125racer=-

Old 01-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plenty of pics...no doubt. Congrats. Looks good! Is that hefe residing in a baby's crib?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
gp125racer
Recipes 

The hefe is out in the garage on a giraffe table I put together for my daughter for christmas

Hopefully Morebeer will get the lactose I need for my Cream Ale in stock soon

-=gp125racer=-

Quick Reply