56* in the basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings.

Its summertime in the south. Granted i'm not in the DEEP south, but, it's starting to get a little warmish around here. I have to air conditioning other than fans & all the windows open at night. I do however have a great big basement that usually stays 56-60 in the summer. Daytime temps outside are approaching 80 and indoor temps up to 95 are on the way. Now heres the question: With my basement temp, is it going to be possible to lager beer in my basement over the summer? Or heck, is 60 enough for ales?

Excuse the typing, i started my memorial day celebration a little early!!!!!

Appreciate it.
Zac

Greetings.

Its summertime in the south. Granted i'm not in the DEEP south, but, it's starting to get a little warmish around here. I have to air conditioning other than fans & all the windows open at night. I do however have a great big basement that usually stays 56-60 in the summer. Daytime temps outside are approaching 80 and indoor temps up to 95 are on the way. Now heres the question: With my basement temp, is it going to be possible to lager beer in my basement over the summer? Or heck, is 60 enough for ales?

Excuse the typing, i started my memorial day celebration a little early!!!!!

Appreciate it.
Zac

Remember that fermentation produces lots of heat. So while your basement might be 60 degrees your fermentation may be 70 degrees. For a lager yeast this can cause a lot of off-flavors.

For lagering after fermentation you want to be at near-freezing temperatures for several weeks (at least 2 for light beers and a lot more for bigger beers).

60°F is PERFECT for most ales.

you can make hefeweizens, steam beers, cream ales, and anything you want with nottingham.

you've got a better deal than me, my friend ;)

Well, I think the problem has been solved by the Craigslist gods. Picked myself up a Kenmore 23 today. 67X26X32 on the INSIDE!!!! Now all I need is a temp controller & I think I may be on my way to lagering some fine beers.

DeathBrewer: I thought 60 might be on the cool side, but I reckon its full speed ahead in the basement for summer.

I appreciate it. *I just had to brag about my CL SCORE!!!**
Zac

Latest posts

Back