Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5 litre keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #31
BrewinJack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use casks like that to carb and condition and then bottle. It steadies carbonation and allows you to over carb with out the issue of bottle bombs... i actully found that the cask contract as you drain out the brew and that shaking the brew casues the release of CO2 and allows pressure to be restored and no O2 being reintroduced in to the enviroment... This works wonderfully well for me and i havent had oxidation problems. I would sugest trying it because some of us have a tendancy for prejuduice.

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #32
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm! never thought of that. Good point Shake and pour. or as the good old James Bond would like it "Shaken and not Stirred" Maybe he was giving us the drum in his secret way.

For NQ3X "Drum" That is an Australian term for inside info, the gossip or something interesting. I will get you talking proper like I does yet.

Yes that makes sense. Also I thought that as the beer warms up slightly say during an everning it too will give off more Co2 also helping to push it out.

2nd day another 18 to go before it goes in the fridge for at least a day. Ahh! patience, don't leave me now. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day.

Quote:
i actully found that the cask contract as you drain out the brew
Probably will not happen as I selected the spray bottle as it is made of solid plastic and supposively able to stand 45 lb/Sq inch. The first trial did not go the distance I am afraid, Only let it carb for a week. The result has caused me to post this and I expect the final result to be positive. I contacted "Hills" the manufacturer and briefly told them of my idea and gave them the oportunity to come on board with me.

I was a production design engineer for over 33 years and designing the modifications is a breeze. I could even design the plastic dies if need be. Give me something to get my teeth in. Keeps dementure away.

Last edited by Terry08; 12-29-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added in bold

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #33
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the first idea worked well albeit due to the small diameter delivery hole it could only be dispensed slowly.

The alternate idea makes a perfect mini keg. It worked so well that I am considering marketing the idea as it is unique.

I am going for a 3 litre version as that represents 4 long necks and does not take up much fridge space. There is also a pressure requirement that has to exceed atmospheric pressure for the whole of the ammount so that no air will contaminate it.

I have two 2 litre mini kegs that I experimented with and will change to the 3 litre type. The existing ones will be a present for my wifes gardening exploits, fertaliser and weed killer.

Note to self. Identify the mini kegs.

So there we have it.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #34
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I have two 2 litre kegs. I know a 2 litre pet bottle could be used but a standard tap will not fit.

What I did was cut the special nut out of the spray head. I then used that to clamp a reducing socket (From Hardware which I rounded the square corners. I used an "O" ring to seal when clamped by the above nut. In the now internal female thread I screw the tap.

Usage:-

Get a small balloon and insert about 1/3 cup beer a pinch of sugar seal and sanitise (Reason later)

Fill and prime 2 litre keg with beer/sugar. Push balloon into neck of keg. Assemble as above. Let the keg carb up tap down.

After 3 weeks or so Release little beer to clear sediment then refrigerate.

As the beer is dispensed the pressure build up in the balloon expands and replaces the beer dispensed. The ballon is burst and removed after.

I am not going for a bigger Spray Bottle as 2 litres is quite sufficient and a couple is great for carrying to a party in an eski.

I am satisfied with my project and have my cheap kegs. I have not arrived at the proper charge for the balloons yet as there is weeks between each trial. I have some small round balloons. They have to expand as big as the inside of the keg and some. If anyone experiments I would be interested on the ratio of beer to sugar you have used.

I have yet to find if the balloon perishes in the beer, time will tell

Quick Reply