Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5 litre keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #21
Terry08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I will offer this once and once only. There will be no pictures and this will be the only time I shall mention it. But from a previous post I mentioned the possibility of using a pressure water sprayer as a mini keg.

Anyway here it is.
I purchased 2 x 2 litre units that had hand pumps. Stands pressure up to 45lb per square inch. I filled and primed it. and let it carb. With a bigger unit I intend to fit a bladder over the central air pump to segregate the air from the beer and by compressing the bladder I achieve what Tap-A-Draft does with its citric acid and bicarbonate of soda pouches.

A 2 litre unit does not hold sufficient beer where storage becomes an issue but is ideal to take out. therefore using air will suffice.

With a larger unit obviously the bladder will be inflated as needed and will keep the pressure at a nominal value, the Co2 beng kept in solution and will be a cheap mini keg.

First trial with the 2 litre one( will use your Liter if it makes you happy) worked out better than expected. The naturally carbed beer had sufficient pressure to pour the first litre. I then pumped to deliver the remaining litre. I kept it in the fridge and finished it in two days. Time will tell what effects air contamination will have. still to test that.

I did modify it. I opened up the delivery hole still keeping the sealing function intact and removed the spray componants so as to get a steady pour not a spray..

One thing I did notice that when the 2 litre unit was half full and I pumped it up to pressure the head was perfect. I believe it could be due to the nitrogen in the air as the foam clung to the glass. The beer taste was excellent and no characteristics was lost.

Anyway there it is. As I said I will not mention it again, it is an idea that I had and will use now to suppliment my bottles. I will probably only use the 2 litre units untill I can source some suitable cylindical bladders. A large condom comes to mind .

The units seem to come in. 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 12, and 25 litre's so even the large unit will fit in a fridge. Bit heavy though. I will go for the 3 litre units eventually but I will need bladders.

So there you have it, to use or scoff at. If you do use the idea I would be interested to hear how you clamp the bladder to the central pump and if you replaced the delivery tube to a larger diameter one. If you wish to further or discuss ideas in this direction please email me.

terryprism@gmail.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #22
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
Litre not liter.
Actually, we spell it "quart".

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 12-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
You guy's are going to tell me next you spell colour as color. We use English English in Australia not quite what you use. Litre not liter.
Unfortunately, Terry, even English English forbears the use of possessive apostrophes in words intended to indicate more than one of a thing. Moreover, I invite you to investigate the correct use of punctuation, as well as sentence construction.

Spelling is only one part of the language; if you're going to take someone to task over that one issue, it is wise to have all of your linguistics above reproach, lest you be exposed to ridicule.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #24
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a suburban cockney born in the Thames valley, I am afraid spelling, punctuation, grammar and I never got along too well so yes you are probably right. Ridicule I thrive on it, means I have struck a nerve. I do stand corrected and accept your statement. I still believe you lot should speak proper like me.

Anyway more to the point You never had anything to say about my absolutly fantastic idea. You remind me of an english teacher I had. I painted a word picture of a scene. He only saw my errors totally missed the point. Good job I do not create road signs. you would miss your turn .

Anyway thanks for your comment I really do accept your return. I am afraid I am too old to change now. So if I post again please accept that my schooling was perhaps not as complete as yours. Due to our circumstances back in the early fifties I started work at 14 so I did not get a chance to learn about the finer points of my language. High school was for the rich and privileged at that time.

Actually the languages I am quite conversant in are C, VB and Java. The syntax of which are more tolerant of my prose. Actually they complain if I am wrong.

So! I wish you a very good new year and a very healthy one, to you and yours and I do hope you can spend time commenting on other posts of mine so that I may learn.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #25
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you get this ghetto keg system figured out I'd love to see pics. It's always interesting to see how far you can take homebrew equipment to the ends of the earth! Myself, I'm getting ready to build a lagering setup using a compact fridge, two cornies with the gas posts removed, some tubing and a couple of worm clamps. If I pull this off I'll be brewing 9 gallons of lager in a 5 cubic foot fridge in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #26
TroubleBrewing
Recipes 

Terry, I'm a fellow Aussie and I think this idea is pure genius! With how expensive party keg systems and associated gassing paraphernalia is over here, I think I'll have to adopt your idea. Especially as I'm quite happy to bottle, but being able to make up a party keg would be quite useful. Have you had any thoughts as to how you'd make the bladder?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #27
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bladder has to satisfy these factors:

1. Be able to expand easily
2. Suitable clamping system of bladder to central pump
3. Not have a reaction to beer or Co2(Food Grade)

There are other points to make the ultimate mini keg

The delivery tube is a small dia and would be better slightly larger.

It also runs parallel to the pump and ideally would be better re-aligned to the inside of the container allowing the bladder to expand completly

The spray nozzle will need modification.

Having said all that I opened the delivery hole still allowing the sealing mechanism to work. I also removed the spray componants.

As the unit I got from "Bunnings" was the 2 litre at <$8 I will just use the air pumped in for the last half of the beer.

I am looking for a suitable bladder and will even try and source a specially fabricated one. The idea has merit and I believe will sell. The bladder being the solution.

I am retired and will treat it as a project but will keep you posted as I hope you will me.

The two litre is really ideal as they fit in an esky are cheap and 3 or 4 will satisfy any party. They are easily sanitised and storable and do not take up much fridge space.

Plus I do not believe in a few days the air contamination is a factor to worry about. Only time will tell there. I am about to refill and try again, this time checking the contamination factor. It will be stored in a fridge so I believe over those few days I should not experiance any ill effects. Remember it will be initially stored full then chilled and will then remain chilled until emptied.

My initial trial with a Decore water container failed (Failed to hold preasure)

By the way "Big W" has a 3 litre for about $13 and a 5 litre for $18 all of simular design each supposively capable of 45lb per sq inch.

Enjoy the journey

Terry

Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Terry is the container itself food grade? I was thinking you could use a large heavy ballon for your bladder, but that wouldn't be food grade, and might even impart a taste, which would obviously be no good. BTW, I think the bladder idea is pretty clever! Seems like a good way to repressurize without allowing air to actually contact the beer.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 AM   #29
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Uhmm...I guess I'm missing something.

I was thinking that portability was key here, and the reason for the small 5L size...to take to a cookout or something.

However, for whatever the reason, I've seen no mention of cooling the beer in this apparatus.

So, unless you like drinking hot beer, I'm thinking that icing a twelve pack down in a plastic cooler will be much quicker, and plenty effective!

Unless of course, I AM missing something!

Pogo

Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #30
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pogo Obviously once fully carbed the unit would be chilled in a fridge before drinking.

Gonefishing I hope so. The first trial did not kill me or appear to have imparted any off flavours. Remember a water sprayer is designed to accept many solutions including fertalizer and weed killer. I do not suggest you using a contaminated one of course.

The bladder is on the agenda I would not want a rubber taste. That's why I suggested a condom, seriously but the lubricant would have to be removed.

I have just filled the unit with Cerveza I had ready to bottle in my secondary.
Being quite warm at the moment it is carbing nicely. I primed it with 3 1/2 spoons of sugar. which is 1 spoonfull more than usual for the 2 litre's which is 2 2/3 long necks.

Cerveza consumed a tad over 0 it is quite refreshing. Forget Lime, have it as a chaser for Vodka (Out of freezer) and Herring. Made for each other, just the right combination. I would add it is not an everyday ale but adds to the varieties to have in stock. I like to have at least 4 types cold at any time.

I am aiming at a higher carbonation initially. One thing I am looking into is head retention and I am observing that my bottled beer has plenty of Co2 but will not release it fast enough to support the head so squirting it from this sprayer does improve the head.

So far it is working out ok. Thoughts for future. Trigger system needs attention. but for the 2 litre units they appear good as standard.

For the record it is the "Hills" make I am using. By the way I will contact the company and see if they want to redesign the unit to serve as a keg.

Quick Reply