Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
One point, How is it that when beer is transfered from the fermenter to the secondary the beer does not become oxidised then?. Could it be that the Co2 released forms a protective blanket?. I believe that is the case and as Co2 is heavier than air it just sits there stopping possible oxidation.
Unfortunately, oxidization does indeed occur during transfer, unless the receiving vessel is purged of air with carbon dioxide gas before the transfer is begun. However, the level of oxidization is generally low enough that it can be dealt with by the yeast during conditioning; moreover, the levels are generally so low as to be undetectable. In commercial breweries, where pumps are used to push beer from vessel to vessel, purging the receiving vessel is much more important because the flow is much more turbulent than homebrew-scale transfer operations.

The CO2 released from the racking beer isn't released (off-gassed) quickly enough to force air out of the receiving vessel. Further, atmospheric turbulence caused by the rapidly-changing volumes of air and liquid in the receiving vessel mix the small amount of off-gassed CO2 and ambient air. Even further, there is insufficient CO2 dissolved in the beer before racking to completely displace the ambient air in a vessel, regardless of that vessel's size. There isn't even enough to make a blanket.

Regards,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2128 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Well, 5L is just too damn little beer to worry too much about. Now if'n I was to try to drink all that by myself, then I would warrant extra thought, but for 2-3 guys, this would be about a night or two.

I'd like to see pics of the vessel you plan to use. I would worry about getting good seal and it withstanding multiple use.

Oxidation should not really be an issue if it is drank in a day or two, especially if it's cold, and not sloshed around too much. That said, it WILL go flat , so you will need a pump of some sort to re-pressurize the thing when it gets low (unless you are drinking it all real quick)

Seems like a reasonable project if the beer is consumed relatively quickly.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will see if I can post a picture. At present the square cornered container is taking on a very round shape as the secondary carbonation takes place.

With the preassure build up it will be interesting just how much carbonisation is lost as it is dispenced especially as it will bemain sealed as long as possible.

I just saw an add for a Heineken keg. It is a 5 litre round Aluminum pressured container that a customer fits a delivery tube to serve. It appears as if it is a one use keg.

Question how would they ensure the beer remains prime to the last drop in a sealed container. Sounds like a party pig principle. How does that work?.

If I could afford it I would invest in a Co2 cylinder and I would not concern myself with this. At the moment my available funds go towards buying ingrediants

Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
Docapi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post

If I could afford it I would invest in a Co2 cylinder and I would not concern myself with this. At the moment my available funds go towards buying ingrediants
A CO2 bike pump with a schroeder valve would be pretty inexpensive.

bike pumps

For what you are talking about, a CO2 tank, regulator, etc would be overkill.

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwien #1 Edwort Apfelwien #2, Joes ancient orange mead, island mist kits x2.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Problem the container could not stand the pressure and forced some of the beer out of the tap. I placed it in the fridge with only a week of conditioning so it was a failed experiment.
So I will look to see if i can get a small "Propper" keg.

I am waiting for the "I told you so"

Back to the drawing board

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What a brain. I have it. As I said my water container could not stand the pressure(Oprerative word) so it came to me a small water sprayer. They come in all sizes from 2 litres up. So they stand the pressure.
If a small container is used it could be pumped out if the pressure drops
There is also the possibility of adapting it to Co2 by fitting a soda bottle top or a carbonator cap.

Quite excited about this. By the way the beer left in the water container I used still was under pressure and dispensed ok with good carbonation so I think a pressure sprayer will work.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How come that guy keeps adding e's at the end of everything and reversing his er's with re's?

Useful Idiot Brewing Co.

Current Brewing Profile:
Primary Fermenter 1 (5 Gal): Belgian Tripel
Primary Fermenter 2 (5 Gal): Double Chocolate Stout
Primary Fermenter 3 (5 Gal): Dogfishhead 60IPA Clone
Primary Fermenter 4 (5 Gal): N. Belgian Fat Tire Clone
Primary Lagerer (5 Gal): Dutch Lager

Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
How come that guy keeps adding e's at the end of everything and reversing his er's with re's?
Re Ers Eh!?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunaman View Post
Speech impediment?
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You guy's are going to tell me next you spell colour as color. We use English English in Australia not quite what you use. Litre not liter.

Quick Reply