Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5 Gallon Water Bottle for Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2541 Times on 1797 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

I have a few plastic bottles from work that cost me $4 each. They are PET though, and you have to look carefully, because we actually get both kinds in.

I still ferment in a bucket for primary though. Just easier to deal with when cleaning, stirring, etc.

If I didn't have access to a ready supply of these water bottles, I'd go with the BB because they are clear, and mine are blue.

You can drill a hole near the bottom of a BB and use as a bottling bucket, or even any cheap plastic bottle, since there is not going to be enough time to allow O2 or contamination before the beer is out again.

Technically, you could also cut the neck off and open the top up a bit if you wanted to be able to get right in there. with your hands and wash with a sponge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
RGH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
I have done a little research, and I emphasize "a little". I have found numerous manufacturers of carboys (garrafones) in Mexico, one being Grupo Prez in the Mexico City/Toluca area that are still in operation and selling. I have not found any specific reason that they are not being exported.
I will be in Toluca in a couple of months visiting family and plan to check on it then, more for my curiosity than anything else.
Sorry I don't have anything more definitive to add. I can say though that I just bought my first Better Bottle last week and filled it Saturday. It is SO much easier to handle and lighter that I will keep my existing glass carboys for secondary and Apfelwine only. I won't be buying anymore glass.
Since my original post I have cleaned my better bottle and surprisingly it was just as easy as the glass. Fill half with reasonably hot water and Oxyclean and give a few good swooshes and the top of and let it sit over night. I agree definitely lighter and somewhat easier to handle. There is something about glass, I dont know what it is, then again being a noob I only own two glass carboys. But as Revvy's Sig says they both make beer.

end of discussion.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Since my original post I have cleaned my better bottle and surprisingly it was just as easy as the glass. Fill half with reasonably hot water and Oxyclean and give a few good swooshes and the top of and let it sit over night. I agree definitely lighter and somewhat easier to handle. There is something about glass, I dont know what it is, then again being a noob I only own two glass carboys. But as Revvy's Sig says they both make beer.
Yeah, stuck his post in my sig too. I agree that there is just some sort of "mentality" with feeling the need to use glass. I felt the same way until last Saturday when I filled my first BB. There has been one fear really nagging me. It is the thought of my 2 year old knocking over the carboy on the garage floor while I am brewing and falling into the pieces! That really terrifies me.
He is so active and fast, and accidents happen. Shoot, he has been to the ER 9 times in his first two years..... They even have a freakin' monogrammed coffee cup with my name on it there. (Not really, but they should)
So, all that being said, I will only buy BB or the like from now on. There just aren't any benefits to out-weigh the enormous risks, at least in my case.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Quick Reply