Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5 Gallon Water Bottle for Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
GEARS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 Gallon Water Bottle for Secondary

Can you use a 5 gallon blue RV water bottle for your secondary fermenter like the ones on ebay instead of the better bottles. The RV bottles are less expensive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They are not recommended. Check the link below.

BetterBottle PET Fermenters (Better-Bottle PET Fermenters ) Bisphenol-A free (BPA-free), Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate free (DEHP-free), plasticizer-free home brewing and home winemaking equipment

Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Potentially yes. Take a look at this thread for a discussion of the different plastics used in water bottles. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cull...-bottle-57828/

Edit: However I would personally recommend spending the extra money on the better bottle or skip the secondary all-together. Look around th forum and you'll find quite a bit of information on ways to bypass the secondary. (If you are dry-hopping, adding fruit, or other items, you'll still want to do a secondary.)

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
GEARS
Recipes 

Thanks for the links.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
RGH
Recipes 

I bought a better bottle and am using it as my primary for my Honey Oatmeal Blueberry Stout right now. I have not had to clean it yet, I have sanitized it only. my two other carboys are glass and they clean up really well. I am not sure how long you been brewing, but so far I am on my fourth batch and I can say glass seems to be the way to go. It is more expensive, but I know that my 6.5 gallon glass carboy will last for just about ever, heaven forbid it break. I have been told that if you get one good gash in plastic in becomes a night club for bacteria, I didnt really care when I bought my better bottle, but it was something that I took into consideration. Plus better bottle put the Mexican bottle plant out of business, which some might think that could cause people from Mexico to look for work here, but whatever. More the merrier, right? LOL Better bottles for a worse world... J/K. Sorry if I am off topic!

end of discussion.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
jgardner6

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't because it's built from a lower grade plastic. The plastic flavor will catch to easy. Believe me I have tried.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
........Plus better bottle put the Mexican bottle plant out of business, which some might think that could cause people from Mexico to look for work here, but whatever. More the merrier, right? LOL Better bottles for a worse world... J/K. Sorry if I am off topic!
WRONG! Carboys are used much more frequently in Mexican households than here in the states. The limited reduction of carboy sales to Better Bottles here is insignificant. They stopped export production for other reasons.....

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
RGH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
WRONG! Carboys are used much more frequently in Mexican households than here in the states. The limited reduction of carboy sales to Better Bottles here is insignificant. They stopped export production for other reasons.....
Good news for the people at the bottle plant in Mexico, bad news for the guys like myself that like to use them . I was misinformed and I retract that last statement. Why did they stop exporting them? I will have to inform the source that told me. Might be why he said that it was the last one in the store... and charged me an arm and a leg? its adding up now...

end of discussion.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How about using a water bottle as a bottling bucket?

My old bottling bucket is scratched up and I have a spare water bottle in good condition. I'll just go plunk down money for a glass carboy ultimately but it was a thought.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGH View Post
Good news for the people at the bottle plant in Mexico, bad news for the guys like myself that like to use them . I was misinformed and I retract that last statement. Why did they stop exporting them? I will have to inform the source that told me. Might be why he said that it was the last one in the store... and charged me an arm and a leg? its adding up now...
I have done a little research, and I emphasize "a little". I have found numerous manufacturers of carboys (garrafones) in Mexico, one being Grupo Prez in the Mexico City/Toluca area that are still in operation and selling. I have not found any specific reason that they are not being exported.
I will be in Toluca in a couple of months visiting family and plan to check on it then, more for my curiosity than anything else.
Sorry I don't have anything more definitive to add. I can say though that I just bought my first Better Bottle last week and filled it Saturday. It is SO much easier to handle and lighter that I will keep my existing glass carboys for secondary and Apfelwine only. I won't be buying anymore glass.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Quick Reply