New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5 to 6 days before shipping from AHS?!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
elm33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 to 6 days before shipping from AHS?!!

Hey all,

I have recently placed an order with AHS because I thought I would try them out. They look like they have a lot of nice kits out there and I have read a lot of good things about them on this forum. They also have the 6.99 flat rate shipping. I read a thread from someone stating that they now had more people working the shipping as well so I gave it a shot.

4 days later my order still has not shipped. When I inquired about this I was told that the flat rate shipping orders are taking 5 or 6 days to ship out.

In the past I have always ordered from MW or NB. They have always shipped my stuff same day or the next at the latest! MW actually shipped an order I placed on Dec 23 on Dec 24!

Although I am sure this is a reputable company from all I have read, it appears that the flat rate shipping is not getting better, but only worse. If I could have done it over, I think I would just order from MW, pay the lower prices for just about everything, and pay a little bit more for shipping!

I really wanted to brew this weekend! Now it simply won't happen.

/rant off

Mod edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Thanks to the people that understand. No one has ever said that the $6.99 flat rate shipping means that your order will always ship in 5-6 days. This is not the normal turn around.

We are currently a victim of our own success. This years orders so far are more than double the number and it doesn't look like it will slow down.

Expedite orders, meaning you pay for your shipping charges (like most stores) means we will ship your order out the same day. If you select the flat rate shipping it usually goes out in 2-3 days. The exception is when we have one of our sales or we have a large increase in orders. Our last sale bought in 636 orders in one day (that is 3 weeks worth of orders).

Those of you that know me and my company know that I am working hard to resolve this problem. The department manager has been working 70 hours a week since October when all of this additional growth started. This week, I have been rearranging the store to accomodate for the growth. I just hired a new person today fresh out of the Air Force for 6 years that is eager and ready to work hard. I am still taking applications as well.

We have certainly outgrown our 6,000 square feet and I have already begun to look for a new store that is a least 12,000 square feet so we can accomodate the success we are having.

I am truly sorry if this is your first experience with the company and you are experiencing this delay. This truly is not a lack of costomer service. We are not moving in slow motion on our tippy toes. I am working on doubling our shipping department.

I hope this helps to explain the delay and we will be back to our normal schedule by Monday (in 3 days).

We will be having a 50 day sale starting in February. Lots of great deals, give aways, and other surprises. The sale will be One State per Day for 50 days. One of the give aways will be a $50 gift certificate each day, given randomly to one of the people from the state featured, who placed an order.

I will keep you posted.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply
(AHS, AHB, AHBS, etc)

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Why don't you just email them and ask if there is a problem? My orders have always shipped within a day or two.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
elm33
Recipes 

That is exactly what I did and that was when I was informed it would be 5 to 6 days prior to shipping any flat rate orders and if faster service was desired I should in the future choose the expedited service.

I originally thought perhaps something had went awry because frankly in this competitive day and age where people are fighting for every dollar that they can get, this type of service would be atypical, and most places ship things quite rapidly.

For example, I bought a slot car on ebay yesterday, and it arrived today. Now that is service!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
storm1477
Recipes 

Elm...I am in the same boat. After this 1st experience I will go with MW from now on.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have had similar experiences. Sometime I would order and it would ship in 1 day, sometimes 5. The unpredictable nature of this has pretty much forced me to look elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I'm sure they are pretty backed up with the post christmas rush. All of the noobies ordering ingredient kits and people redeeming gift certificates. I don't think it's that unreasonable for the order to go out 5-6 days after an order is placed. If you *needed* the ingredients by a spcific time you should check the shipping and possibly pay for faster shipping.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

They have a note on their site that they are indeed backed up with orders. I ordered something from them a few weeks ago with the flat rate and it got here very quickly.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
elm33
Recipes 

I guess the only thing I would say to that is like I stated originally, I ordered from MW on DEC 23, and they shipped my items on DEC 24. It is fairly reasonable to assume that that was an equally hectic time and there seemed to be no issue there, and there never has been.

Frankly its simply an issue of the level of service you want to provide to your customers. Obviously I am unsatisfied and won't order from this supplier in the future.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Glubki
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 2 Posts

I ordered two brews worth of grain Christmas Eve and it shipped out the following Monday which was the first day UPS resumed service.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply