Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 5.2 ph stabilizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #11
HughBrooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i asked the gut at my LHBS if that would be an issue and he said his understanding was, and according to the instuctions, you dont need the other stuff and still get ultimate utilization from hops and grain.

GOT TO BREW!!
R B DUBs Brewhouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBrooks View Post
i asked the gut at my LHBS if that would be an issue and he said his understanding was, and according to the instuctions, you dont need the other stuff and still get ultimate utilization from hops and grain.

Just my opinion but I believe your LHBS guy is underinformed. Beer is pretty resilient so it will probably be fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
HughBrooks
Recipes 

how do you do test for you bicarbs and calcium etc.?

GOT TO BREW!!
R B DUBs Brewhouse

Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #14
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
hey scinerd3000 when you add to your water do you add 1 tblspn even if you use 9 gallons total water for a 5 gal. batch?
i usually add 2. i eyeball it and if i use too much then it just ends up being a waste of 5.2....the stuff is pricy so i tend to be carful

Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
how do you do test for you bicarbs and calcium etc.?

Check the water report for your area, it is public information so if you call whoever you get your water from or check their website, they should be able to give it to you.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
wildbeers
Recipes 

is there any downside to using the stabilizer? Lets say I was focusing on both pH control and then the flavor profile with Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride, would focusing on these issues independently possible lead to an overuse of salts and/or minerals? I'm under the impression that 5.2 doesnt add any flavor so why not just use it freely to buffer the pH issue within the right range?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbeers View Post
is there any downside to using the stabilizer? Lets say I was focusing on both pH control and then the flavor profile with Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride, would focusing on these issues independently possible lead to an overuse of salts and/or minerals? I'm under the impression that 5.2 doesnt add any flavor so why not just use it freely to buffer the pH issue within the right range?
Yes, it can affect the flavor because you are adding sodium phosphates. It can make your beer salty if you add too much.

Everybody here should search the Brew Science forum for more information about the 5.2 product. The consensus among most homebrewers who really look into it using a real scientific process is that the product does not work. It is incapable of buffering mash liquor in the amounts that are indicated for use. That is a basic fact of Chemistry. Check it out, people have done some very detailed investigations on this product. There is also a lot of good information on this topic in the All Grain and Partial Mash forum.

Last edited by Sardoman; 09-30-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added the last line.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I bought it before my first all grain batch and then after reading, it turns out it's not magical

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #19
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkamania View Post
I bought it before my first all grain batch and then after reading, it turns out it's not magical
Same here - have a full tub of the stuff that my uninformed LHBS pushed on me when I mentioned water/PH problems. I'm saving it for some reason...
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #20
tangofoxtrot308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with hughbrooks. I use walmart spring water and 5.2 to make things easier! Yes I know I can get this and that report on the water but really? Also don't tell me I don't need something because I know bottled water isn't perfect. My beer has never been salty or not what I imagined the style to be. Could it be better? Always most beers can but I'm not brewing for prizes yet so a craft beer that tasted better than store bought sits well with me! 5.2 saves me time and money on PH strips, calculating, and all the chemicals you have to add to adjust your PH up or down.

"Ora et labora" (Pray and Labor)

Quick Reply