Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 425 bbls per year ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
pokerfreak2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 425 bbls per year ?

A friend owns a very well established resturant/tourist trap and wants to offer about 5 home made beers. He is a home brewer as well. After much discussion he still wants to set this up in the cheapest fashion possible
Anyway, Here is what we have come up with to get this off the ground.
His resturant serves 3000 people per day during the peak tourist season. (4 mounths)
Approx 1/3 of them drink beer. So 1000 beer drinkers per day. Assuming 1/2 will only drink BMC. We would get 500 homebrew drinkers. Some would order the pint and some will order the qt. and a few will take a 1/2 gal growler to go as a souvenier. That works out to about 100-125 gal per day.(during a 4 month peak season) open 7 days a week. 700+ gals per week or 2800 gal per month x 4 months = 11,200 gals. Then the other 8 months we estimate selling about 4 kegs per week of homebrew = 248 gals x 8 months = 1984 so a total of 13,184 gallons per year = 425 bbls a year.
Like I said he wants to start off cheaply so we came up with a plan to do a mini mash/extract brewing in a 75 gal brew kettle a plate chiller then transfering to 5 of these 110 gal plastic conical fermentors and topping off with water to 80 gal.http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=3152 Let that ferment for approx 10 days and then transfering to kegs to condition for another 3 weeks to a month. Is this insane ? I was going to post this on pro brewer but I am afraid they would laugh me out of there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

To get a better idea he ought to put a commercial craft beer on tap and see how well it sells compared to the BMC.

Instead of guessing or estimating how many people drink beer, or how much he can sell, why isn't he using his actual receipts? He can literally see how much beer he sells now to get a much better estimate, and if he wants an even better one, he can put a craft beer or two on tap instead of just BMC and look at the receipts for that.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
blizzard
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I'd say you're probably over-estimating the percentage of homebrew drinkers. I suspect you'll get a higher percentage of BMC, but it depends on the bar and the crowd you draw. As weirdboy says, you should check out the receipts to figure that out more accurately.

Also, I wasn't really clear if this was an establishment with permits to make and sell beer, or just a bar/restaurant. Having said that, I doubt the guys at pro brewer will laugh you out. A lot of them started small, some even as nano brewers. They can provide a lot better suggestions (I think) at this scale.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
pokerfreak2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. He does have some craft brews on tap as well as BMC. He has 1554, SA white ale, Shock Top, Ziegenbock, XX and used to have arragant basturd but that one was a poor seller as people who tried it usually wanted to send it back.
As far as reciepts he sells 35-40 kegs per week (during peak season) with 65% of the sales going to BMC. He thinks with his name on the home brews along with the addition of growler/souvenier sales that we can get close to 50% of the beer drinkers to go with one of these beers. Also samplers
1-honey blonde ale 2- creamy smoked amber ale 3- raspberry wheat 4- pecan porter 5- IIPA.
I have been trying to convice him to go with this 3 bbl psycho brewing system.
http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18677
Oh and yes he is working on getting a brewing licence asap

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
weirdboy
Recipes 

Quote:
That works out to about 100-125 gal per day.(during a 4 month peak season) open 7 days a week.
Using these numbers I get 27-28 kegs per week.

Quote:
As far as reciepts he sells 35-40 kegs per week (during peak season)
That is more like 155-178 gallons per day. If you are selling 50% from the house brand that means you need to brew every single day just to barely keep up with demand on a 3 bbl system. I would think a 7 bbl system would be more appropriate.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
pokerfreak2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wierdboy, If we sell 50% of 40 kegs per week = 20 kegs = 310 gal per week. If I were to brew 80 gal per day for 5 days. Then our 5 fermentors would be full for approx 10 days untill the transfer. Then start over. It would produce 400 gal every 10 days = 1200 gal per month. I realize that during peak season that's barely enough, but if you were to get stocked up before the peak season it might hold out through the 4 months, then it's back to small amounts.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Using these numbers I get 27-28 kegs per week.

That is more like 155-178 gallons per day. If you are selling 50% from the house brand that means you need to brew every single day just to barely keep up with demand on a 3 bbl system. I would think a 7 bbl system would be more appropriate.
Yeah but if you're doing extract like they're thinking you can make more barrels on a smaller system. Of course the downside to that is increased ingredient cost. But the good news is that the profit selling your beer from your own tap is pretty darn high.
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
weirdboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerfreak2 View Post
Wierdboy, If we sell 50% of 40 kegs per week = 20 kegs = 310 gal per week. If I were to brew 80 gal per day for 5 days. Then our 5 fermentors would be full for approx 10 days untill the transfer. Then start over. It would produce 400 gal every 10 days = 1200 gal per month. I realize that during peak season that's barely enough, but if you were to get stocked up before the peak season it might hold out through the 4 months, then it's back to small amounts.
If you are planning a brewery now, you are much better off starting with some room to grow rather than already being behind the expected demand. Otherwise when business picks up you will be in there brewing double and triple batches and shuffling fermenters and bright tanks 24x7. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of cleaning.

At the very least, you'd probably want to get one or two bigger fermenters for more popular beers so that you can increase your throughput.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Also buying extract syrup is much more expensive than buying grains. If he is looking for economy, that would be the way to go.

Why would he even put BMC on tap??? It's his bar, he can make a kick ass pale ale instead and triple your sales. If you REALLY want a BMC beer (lighter than what most homebrewers would consider a pale ale or american light ale) those recipes exist too using corn or rice. I see no reason to ALLOW BMC to compete if it's his bar!!!

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
pokerfreak2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
If you are planning a brewery now, you are much better off starting with some room to grow rather than already being behind the expected demand. Otherwise when business picks up you will be in there brewing double and triple batches and shuffling fermenters and bright tanks 24x7. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of cleaning.

At the very least, you'd probably want to get one or two bigger fermenters for more popular beers so that you can increase your throughput.
This will be a brewpub not a brewery. There probably won't be much of an increase in business as this place has run at this capacity for many years. I don't see it being able to grow much in sales from adding a homebrewed beer. However it could get bigger due to the amount of updated billboards along a major Interstate across the USA. 100's of billboards will soon be updated to read "New Homemade Beer" along with there free 72 oz. steak.

Quick Reply