Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 33 gallons of fermentation space!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #31
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yes, I don't see why it wouldn't work. This functionality is what I had in mind when I put it all together. Right now, I have a glass carboy laggering at 38 and my Dus Alt is in active fermentation being held at about 56 or 57. The heat wrap really doesn't even cycle as much as I thought it would. The tape doesn't get NEAR as hot as I thought it would. I have something like 90 watts using the length (4 ft). Don't think 90 Watts of light bulb heat. There is WAY more surface area on these wraps than a light bulb. You can put your hand on the tape and leave it there for as long as you want. It is more just a gentle heat. I don't have any worries about heating the plastic drum with such a gentle heat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Say Huaco I am wondering if you have tried to empty them yet with water and what kind of pressure it took. I would think that once you got a siphon going that would take care of it until the levels equaled and then you would have to keep on increasing the pressure until empty.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #33
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I noted my "Proof of concept" in post #16.
The idea is to be able to rack to a keg with no exposure to Oxygen. If you just got the flow started and shut off the gas, it would soon stop flowing because it is a closed system.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by geer537 View Post
Can this set up lager a beer at 38 degrees F and have an ale fermenting next to it at 65 degrees or even higher like a saison? I am wondering how the reptile heaters against the plastic would handle the extremes- for instance would the tape become too hot over prolonged exposure and damage the malt bins that are being used as fermentors.

I love this set up and thanks for the great step by step of your process.
I can't speak for the system being able to hold two beers side by side at such differing temperatures, but I can tell you that those plastic barrels are extremely durable and have very thick sides. As a chemical engineer and a former lab chemist who worked with them time and time again, I can tell you that we would routinely store highly flammable chemicals in them in the back of our truck and it would easily reach temps of 130F and higher during the summer with the sun beating down on the metal roof of the truck's cargo area. Also, my company would store these outdoors in huge rows sometimes double and triple stacked right next to >400F distillation comlumn ducts and piping and we had no problems or leaks beside the occasional worker running a forklift's forks through the sidewall and puncturing them. They are sturdy, strong, heat and cold resistant, food safe, and chemically inert. I'll let Huaco handle the temperature differential question.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So there is no issue with the co2 stirring up the trub? I love this idea... Trying to think of how I can talk the SWMBO into letting me revamp everything again to allow 11 gallon batches lol.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #36
JoseLima
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default nice

One thing about brewing.... Your always learning!

JoseLima

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #37
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
So there is no issue with the co2 stirring up the trub? I love this idea... Trying to think of how I can talk the SWMBO into letting me revamp everything again to allow 11 gallon batches lol.
Nope... should not be. The gas is being pushed into the carboy by the top bung opening, not the bottom of the racking cane. It pushes into the carboy also pushing down on the beer, creating head pressure and forcing beer out of the racking cane, just like if you had started a siphon.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #38
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseLima View Post
One thing about brewing.... Your always learning!
Man... ain't that the truth!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #39
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Started on my Triple STC-1000 controlled box yesterday evening. The start of something fun. Cramming all this stuff in one junction box...
[caveman hands not good]

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What size freezer is that? Have you thought about putting a keezer collar on there to give yourself more headspace for an airlock?

Quick Reply