New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 33 gallons of fermentation space!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Subbed... Now if only I still worked for that Hazardous Waste company. I had access to more 5, 15, 30, and 55 gallon PTFE drums than any one brewer could handle. Maybe I'll call some of my old coworkers and see if they can "lend" me a couple in the near future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Hazardous Waste??? Seriously?

I would rather just get them for a few bucks from a LHBS where I KNOW what has been in them and that they are food-safe.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post

I would rather just get them for a few bucks from a LHBS where I KNOW what has been in them and that they are food-safe.
Nah, I work for a Hazmat company and you can get them clean as a whistle in the good PETE #1.

And back on topic, your setup is awesome! I love the racking cane.

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #24
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 820

And now you got me thinking. I got 4 30 gallon containers I could use.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yep... I just plan to run one controller per carboy. Simple as that... Really, if you order from the vendor in NY, they are like $20 a pop and free shipping. I got these in 3 days... That reptile heat tape is CHEAP too. MUCH cheaper than that heat tape marketed to homebrewers! and it only wraps part of the way around a bucket or glass carboy.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #26
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Check Uline if you need a cheap bung wrench by the way.

Be weary of the threads inside the bung as well. They don't hold up to much use/abuse at all.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Nah, I work for a Hazmat company and you can get them clean as a whistle in the good PETE #1.

And back on topic, your setup is awesome! I love the racking cane.
Reno is right. I'll get a couple unused clean ones. My old company buys them in mass orders before they send them out with our labpack chemists to be filled with all manner of nasty bulk liquids. Those were great days when we didn't have to be on a jobsite and we instead got to unload semis filled with barrels and buckets of all sizes and then go home at noon. The other kicker is that I can get some 15 gallon buckets that are more like "ale pails". The lid has a ring-clamp and an airtight seal under the lip. And I can put whatever bulkhead fittings I want into the clean, flat 5 mil thick lid. They'll probably withstand a few PSI of pressure for CO2 racking, but they're a little taller than the 15 gallon bulk barrels that Huaco is using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Check Uline if you need a cheap bung wrench by the way.

Be weary of the threads inside the bung as well. They don't hold up to much use/abuse at all.
I agree wholeheartedly with FATC1TY. However, I'll go one better. Take a look around and make sure to buy a decent sturdy bung wrench if you need one. I know you said you were using the handle of your channel locks to turn those bungs, but if you ever get tired of it a good bung wrench will be your best ally. The aluminum ones are crap and the ones that look like a multitool are hit and miss, but you can't go wrong with the one that looks like a double-headed meat hammer. The meat hammer style wrenches never failed me plus they look badass hanging on your brew wall. I had a meat hammer one when I first started as a labpack chemist and I can to their sturdiness and usability firsthand. However, I quickly lost it at one of our job sites and replaced it with a series of bad ones including a cheap/cheap-looking aluminum one and several different styles of multitool wrenches. Needless to say, I was constantly stripping out bungs and bashing/cutting my hands and fingers on the lip of the barrels when the wrench would inevitably slip, but that never happened with my first meat hammer.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Yeah, I would have offered up something nicer, but depending on how often you use it, the cheap ones might work just fine. You don't need any that won't spark, and made of certain metals, so go with what looks good to use. You'll strip your bungs out if you use anything other than the proper tool and then you will be searching for bungs that work for your set up!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the tips guys...
I am not really having to crank these down super tight to get a seal. Plus, I am thinking about lubing the seal and threads with keg lube to make an even better seal. I will probably just pick up a cheap plastic bung wrench somewhere like Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. I may need to modify it to fit around the thermowell fittings...

Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Can this set up lager a beer at 38 degrees F and have an ale fermenting next to it at 65 degrees or even higher like a saison? I am wondering how the reptile heaters against the plastic would handle the extremes- for instance would the tape become too hot over prolonged exposure and damage the malt bins that are being used as fermentors.

I love this set up and thanks for the great step by step of your process.

Quick Reply