Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 33 gallons of fermentation space!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Ok so how are you going to rack it into kegs or a bottling bucket. I would think a pump would not be good.

Hmm maybe put a dip tube down in it and use co2 to push it out?
Bingo! Updates coming... today some time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I have one STC1000 now, I plan to cannibalize that controller and incorporate it into an 8x8x4 PVC junction box I got today from the electrical supply store. I will have 3 hot/cold switched receptacles in the panel. The coldest fermentation will be controlled with the "master" controller and it will control the chest on and off. The other two controllers will heat the other two malt drum fermentors with reptile heat tape. Each of these drums will have a wrap of Reflectix to keep the heat reflecting into the vessel.
This will all be written up here in this thread once I can document it with pictures...
This is exactly what I do, it works perfectly!

EDIT: I use a wine transfer pump to move the beer.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So I wanted to come up with some way to pump directly into my fermentation vessel from my chiller, while not having to lift anything in or out of the chest... The following is how I am doing it. (well, for now anyway...)

I ordered enough 24" long thermowells from www.stainlessbrewing.com to accommodate one for each fermentation vessel. In my case, I have three. They are 1/2" OD x 24" long with a compression cap on the end. Also, I ordered three full bore compression fittings for the thermowell. As well as three 3/4"x1/2" reducing bushings... I drilled out the center depression in the bung cap to 1/2 inch and it was a nice tight fit. Not air tight, but tight enough to stabilize the tubing and not rattle around.

Here you can see I used tape on all the threads to help seal it up and make it air tight. I threaded the bushing into the center of the 2" standard bung cap that came on the malt drum. (quite handy to realize those threads were there.)

I realized that if I had a compression fitting on both ends, my bung cap would be trapped... I set the compression rings aside and opted for the double stacked o-ring setup. Just slide on two o-rings and add the compression fitting and thread down.

Here it is assembled and adjusted to it's lowest profile possible. I don't have but just a few inches clearance above the malt drums and I don't want to build a collar for a ferm chamber, so I am very glad this proved to be low-profile enough to use in the chamber.

Here is the entire bung cap/thermowell setup.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Kind of a useless picture, but here it is being installed in the malt drum carboy.

All buttoned up and tightened down. Side Note: I found out later that using a CHEAP pair of channel locks with no insulation on the handles makes for a PERFECT bung wrench. Stick the ends of the handles in the recesses and turn like a huge screw driver.

As the carboy would be sitting while chilling and pumping directly to it, as well as fermenting.

Here, I purchased 8 feet of 12 inch heat tape from Reptile Basics (4 feet per carboy). I also purchased 2 sets of power cord kits.

Here I wrapped the carboy in a spiral wrap. I plugged the heat tape into the "Heating" side of the STC-1000 controlled receptacle and set my temp. I have 11 gallons of Dusseldorf Altbier in this carboy and it is holding right at my setpoint of 55*F while the glass carboy in the chamber is actually laggering at 38*F right now.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Now... on to the transfer side of this project.

I ordered a Stainless 1/2"ODx36" long racking cane from Stainless Brewing. This is a custom length, so make sure you ask him for a quote on a custom length of 36" to the top of the bend. I wanted to make SURE to reach above the freezer and this is plenty of height to accomplish that. Also, you will need a brass 1/2" Compression X 1/2" MPT fitting from the hardware store. (this will be modified) Also, pick up a 1/2" brass tee, 1/2" x 1/4" reducing bushing, 1/2" close nipple and 3/4" MPT x 1/2" FPT reducing bushing.

Here, I noticed there was a shoulder in the compression fitting because it is not full bore like the Stainless fittings I got from Stainless Brewing. A dremmel with a 1/4" grinding stone makes quick work of the shoulder to allow complete pass-through of the SS Racking Cane.

I assemble the contraption and added a Ball Lock Keg adapter that threads right into the bushing on the side of the Tee. It really is a nice product because it has an integrated O-Ring and all you do is pick up a matching Gas-In Keg Post from you LHBS and thread it on hand tight.

Finished product...

Overall Finished product. Unfortunately the racking cane tip purchased from Stainless Brewing did not fit inside the 3/4" bung opening. I had to remove it.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Now, to the actual transfer...

I installed the Pressure-Racking assembly in the 3/4" bung and slid the Racing cane all the way to the bottom. I marked the cane and moved it up 1 3/4" to make sure to clear the trub/yeast layer on the bottom of the carboy.

Crank down on the compression fitting and lock that elevation in. If I want to use the stacked O-Ring method later I could cut the brass compression collars off and install some O-Rings, but for now I will just stick with the set height for my three malt drum carboys.

Simply hook up a gas line and start pushing the beer out.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR SAFETY
Do NOT put a control valve or any obstruction down stream of the racking cane... This is pressurizing a vessel that is not "designed" for pressure. I would not feel comfortable applying any more than 4-5 psi to these drums. They may take quite a bit more than that, but I won't risk it. I think it goes without saying... SHUT THE REGULATOR DOWN TO ZERO AND CLOSE ALL GAS VALVES ON THE REGULATOR OR DISTRIBUTION BLOCK PRIOR TO PRESSURE-RACKING.

I put somewhere around 11 gallons of water in this carboy and closed it up to "Proof the Concept". I racked 10 gallons out of the carboy with the regulator set at 4-5 PSI in less than 5 minutes. Yes, I am using a little CO2 gas in the process, but I have 2 bottles and refills on bottles are MUCH cheaper than a wine transfer pump. (which I don't have) Regular 1/2" silicone tubing simply slides over the racking cane. I installed it all the way to the bend to make sure it stayed on. It worked great in this application because there is no pressure. I will be racking into sanitized and purged corny kegs. (not 5 gallon buckets... lol)

Here you see it set up inside the Chest Fermentation Chamber.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Reserved 05

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
kevinb
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Thanks. There are some great tips in here.

And yup on the Zack Brown comment.

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
TJTHEBEST
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So there is a hole or something in the racking tube that allows the CO2 to go down into the beer and still allows the beer to come up out of the racking cane?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post
So there is a hole or something in the racking tube that allows the CO2 to go down into the beer and still allows the beer to come up out of the racking cane?
No... The 1/2" tee and fittings all have enough clearance on the I.D. for PLENTY of CO2 to be released inside the carboy for pressurization.

Quick Reply