The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is 30 yr old beer going to be any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Is 30 yr old beer going to be any good?

I saw an add today for a large collection of European beers. Do you think they will be any good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If they were brewed by Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen, yes. Otherwise probably not.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ewww not sure. Altho my buddy just had a Tommy Knocker Butthead that was "expired in march 06". He said it was good and he did't even know it was that old till i seen the bottle the next day. Thats 6 years. Also was in fridge for 6 years too.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

I'm really tempted there's over 100 bottles and he only wants $75 bux! At least I would have plenty of bombers to refill.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You really won't know until you try it, and you can't get sick trying it, so there's not reason to pass up the opportunity, regardless of how it turns out....Read this old answer to this often asked question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What the hell is there to be scared of? Nothing pathogenic can exist in beer. So you can't get sick. Why do people get amped up about this? It's not a big deal....

How many times do we have to say this. Why are people freaking afraid of this????

Beer doesn't go "bad" unless your sanitization is weak. Since nothing PATHOGENIC can exist in beer/wine/cider/mead, there should never be a reason to ever fear tasting something like this, no matter how old it is. Yeah, it may taste like crap, it may be vinegar, but NOTHING that could happen, could ever cause harm to anyone.

It's not worth passing by on something that could be amazing, because of fear.....

Noone thinks twice about drinking old wine do they?????

Beer is really no different than wine, homebrew or otherwise. Properly stored it can last and be drinkable for 100s of years.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revi...assics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

I just had this expericence not too long ago... We tried 48 year old beer today. One was interesting and drinkable, and one was gnarly.

Mbowenze has a thread about tasting an over 100 year old beer recently. And In my history thread there's a video of the OZ and James Drink to Britain tv series where they taste a beer older than that.....one that goes back to Napoleanic times iirc.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeavk
I'm really tempted there's over 100 bottles and he only wants $75 bux! At least I would have plenty of bombers to refill.
What? Were is this? I even collect full unopened bottles. Ill sure the hell drink 1 and save the other. 75 bucks? Buy it.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

LOL I just called the guy and he said he used a google image since his camera is broken. He sounded like quite a character but I'm heading over tomorrow and check it out! Wish me luck! Once I get it I'll post up some pics!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Wait, I am confused. Is the beer 30 years old or, is a 30 year old selling it?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

The beer! lol

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeavk
LOL I just called the guy and he said he used a google image since his camera is broken. He sounded like quite a character but I'm heading over tomorrow and check it out! Wish me luck! Once I get it I'll post up some pics!
Again were is this at? Because I collect beer bottles. Would love to vuy unopeaned bottles like that. But I got to drink it for ne to save it.

Quick Reply