Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 Tier System for All Grain newbies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Mannjb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3 Tier System for All Grain newbies

Long time reader, first time poster. My buddy and I have only been brewing for 6 months and we recently decided to switch to all grain. We also decided that we're gonna build a three tier gravity system. We bought two sanke kegs, then picked up a third. We didn't realize it at the time, but the first two kegs we bought were European Sanke's (we didn't know there was a difference). Those Euro Sanke's were a pain to get the spears out, especially the one from 1998... much diff safety catch than the newer ones. Anyway, we now have two 13.2 gal Euro's and one 15.5 American. Does it make any difference which keggle we convert the American one to (HLT, Mash, or BK)?

We're guessing that if we're brewing 10 gal batches it shouldn't matter... but we're completely new to AG and we don't know for certain. We're thinking of using it for the Mash or BK. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Also, thanks to everyone on here for your posts about keggle conversion parts and where to get them. I've spent hours on this site researching this, and I just finally ordered everything up. Can't wait to get it up and running.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would def. use the american keg as your BK. This gives you the most space when boiling

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
I would def. use the american keg as your BK. This gives you the most space when boiling
+1. You'll definitely want the extra room to boil (I usually start with about a 13.5 gal boil to get 10 gal in the kegs).

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z
+2 o. This. 13 gallons for a mash tun is good (unless your doing 10 gallons of a 1.095+ OG brew). I've got a 52 qt cooler I use, and a brew I'm planning is a stone ruination 10th anniversary clone 10 gallon batch. With 40+ lbs of grist on the bill, I don't think mine can handle it!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
Mannjb
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely appreciate the input. Will certainly be using the American sanke for the BK.

Quick Reply