New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 part question about saison, yeast and starters...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
MrEcted1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3 part question about saison, yeast and starters...

Hello,

I am going to brew a saison. My buddy gave me some of his left-over yeast from a dubbel that he brewed (white labs trappist ale yeast). First question... will this yeast do me well for a saison?

Second question. I don't have the required gear to make a starter... would it be feesable to just go ahead, make a starter, throw it in a carboy and when I get to making the beer I could just pour the wort on top of the already fermenting yeast (when it comes to temp of coarse)... that's the only thing I can think of.

Last but not least... do saisons come out okay if accidently brought up to a tad high of a temperature during fermentation? My house has no air conditioning and it gets mighty hot. I usually wrap a towel around my carboy, but sometimes it still gets a bit warm (like around 76)

Thanks!!!

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply