Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 gallons Just hit the ceiling....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
cox8611
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3 gallons Just hit the ceiling....

So after a successful brew day of the "Breakfast of Champions" Stout seen here:
http://hopville.com/recipe/372019/oa...hampions-stout

I set the beer in the garage with a blow out tube, with the expectation that a lot of it would blow out (got it pretty close to the top of the carboy). it was fermenting happily from a 3L starter at 64-68F after 12 hours of pitching. Went to replace the blow off with an airlock and started prying on the stopper and BAMMM like a gunshot the stopper and 3 gallons of beer spewed 14 feet onto my garage ceiling, wall, and everything else. I airlocked the remaining 2 gallons and cleaned up the substantial mess and found the stopper and blow off tube had been plugged with hop leaves and resin.

Just wanted to ask how often i should expect plugging blow offs with hop leaves. Yes i strained and whirlpooled my wort before letting it into the carboy. What is everyone's experience with how often this happens and would a clothes hanger fix this issue if i periodically poke it down the tubing until the blow off is done?

Thanks!

Nate

Primary: Black Storm Ryesing (CPA),
Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Winter Wheat
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Pictures or it didn't happen!!

How large of a blowoff tube are you using? It shouldn't get clogged.. What are you using for fermentation?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

How would hop leaves get through a strainer?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen!!

How large of a blowoff tube are you using? It shouldn't get clogged.. What are you using for fermentation?
Yea, if you know it's gonna be blowing the big chunks you need to get a 1 incher.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are using the 1 inch tube (I think that's the large size) it shouldn't clog like that. Perhaps you could take this experience and switch over to pellets?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
jasa
Recipes 

Never happend to me.. Were you using whole hops of are we talking the residue you get from pellets? Yeah I guess try using a wider blowoff tube and get a bigger carboy of brew smaller batches. Cleaning must have been fun. And YES pictures please!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox8611 View Post
So after a successful brew day of the "Breakfast of Champions" Stout seen here:
http://hopville.com/recipe/372019/oa...hampions-stout

I set the beer in the garage with a blow out tube, with the expectation that a lot of it would blow out (got it pretty close to the top of the carboy). it was fermenting happily from a 3L starter at 64-68F after 12 hours of pitching. Went to replace the blow off with an airlock and started prying on the stopper and BAMMM like a gunshot the stopper and 3 gallons of beer spewed 14 feet onto my garage ceiling, wall, and everything else. I airlocked the remaining 2 gallons and cleaned up the substantial mess and found the stopper and blow off tube had been plugged with hop leaves and resin.

Just wanted to ask how often i should expect plugging blow offs with hop leaves. Yes i strained and whirlpooled my wort before letting it into the carboy. What is everyone's experience with how often this happens and would a clothes hanger fix this issue if i periodically poke it down the tubing until the blow off is done?

Thanks!

Nate
Did this go into a 5-gallon carboy? If so, that would be mistake #1... I've found 5G carboys useless for primary fermentation for anything with a krausen during primary. You need at least a 6G carboy/BB for primary on a 5G batch of beer... if you're doing 5.5 G of post-boil and do have a 6G, try some Fermcap-S to cap your krausen and keep it from blowing off.

As far as the blowoff tube clogging... if you really did strain your wort when racking, then the difference between leaves and pellets should be minimal. If you have lots of large chunks/leaves in primary after straining, you're doing it wrong. There are strainers you can set inside your funnel when racking that might help with this... plus, you'd get a nice aeration from the trickling action.

I'm at a loss as to how there was enough contained CO2 in solution to propel over 50% of the volume 13 feet, but I'm no physicist. Hopefully someone that understands the math behind that stuff can explain why what you described isn't impossible...

Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Im guessing since you mentioned a stopper you used one of those small tubes that some vendors label a "blow off tube." That is the problem. You need to get yourself a few feet of 1" tube from the hardware store and call it a day. It fits snugly all by itself in the opening of the carboy without using a stopper. Its so big there is no way on earth anything is going to plug it either. Better luck next time!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
cox8611
Recipes 

So to give a better update, if i had a video or pics i would show. I can take some of the aftermath/spatter marks when i get home tonight. I actually whirlpooled half of the batch until my auto-siphon clogged, then strained the rest, so some leaf hops could have gone through before i started straining.

I would buy a 6 or 6.5 gal carboy but the $$ is tight these days, and i just bought a ton of leaf hops so there is no going back to pellets for a while. The blowoff tube has never done this before and it is a .25" ID i think... OD fits snug in a #7 stopper.

I will buy some of that 1" stuff and see what happens. i'll just bottle a batch and then re-brew this weekend. just hate to see all that beautiful substance spew all over my garage.

My guess is that the pressure built up in the carboy from the fermentation but forced enough of the gas through the plug to keep it from bursting. all the CO2 got pushed into the liquid like a keg, then the release of the pressure just brought it all into the air

Primary: Black Storm Ryesing (CPA),
Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Winter Wheat
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Last edited by cox8611; 10-25-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Anubis
Recipes 

First time I brewedi made the same mistake. Used a 5 gal carboy and a blowoff tube with a 1/4 ID. Came home from work and it had popped the blow off across the closet and put a nice beer spot on the ceiling. When I inspected the tube, sure enough it had been clogged by hops. Now I primary in buckets cuz I don't need to watch the ferm. I use hop bags and strainer. Ialsouse a larger blow off. No problems.

GALLONS BREWED IN 2011 : 35
BUCKET 1 : Citra IPA 3
BUCKET 2 : Centenial Blonde
CARBOY 1 : Citrillo IPA
CARBOY 2 : Apfelwein
CARBOY 3 : Psyder test001
CARBOY 4 : empty
CARBOY 5 : Hopsplode
KEG 1 : Palefoot APA
KEG 2 : empty
KEG 3 : Star San
BOTTLED : Nothin'