Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 Batches for $50 including shipping???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default 3 Batches for $50 including shipping???

The skinny: Times are tough and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. The goal is to purchase ingredients for three 5 gallon batches with $50 including shipping.

What should I plan to brew?

My thoughts in general are that it will need to be less than 5% abv, lower hop profile brews, and brewable with dry yeast.

What I come up with is:
1) Blonde Rye ale(simple recipe with 2row, rye, Crystal 10)
2) Scottish 80 (I just brewed up 5 gal. of this & have most of the spec. grains)
3) Who knows???

Oh yea remember the $50 needs to include shipping which should be around $12. Meaning I'll have about $38 to work with.

Thanks for the input...

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

My first question Phillip, is why jump to the conclusion that it must be less than 5% ABV??
Adjuncts do have their place in this world, perhaps nowhere more so than in just such a situation. I think you can pull this off, but as many brewing cultures have in the past, embrace some adjuncts: sugar(cane, dark, and light brown), honey, agave nectar, fruit... anything fermentable that you can get your hands on cheap!!!!! Broaden the horizons man!!!!! Carpe Diem!!!!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Maveric777
Recipes 

I don't know if you could hit $50 but you could get 3 batches for around $60 with MoreBeer.com's low priced session brew kits. Nothing fancy with these but sure to be easy on the pocket book, and will most likely be enjoyed by nonbeer snobs....lol

5 Beers Under $.50 a Beer

There is no tax on the items I buy (I live in Texas and they are out of California) plus if you order over $59 bucks it's free shipping. Only draw back is they are "SLOOOOOOW" to get you your order on free shipping. Don't plan on seeing this for about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.......

On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

PS...

Rye?

Rye??

REALLY?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Irish1225
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddi Brewski View Post
Carpe Diem!!!!
seize the carp?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddi Brewski View Post
PS...

Rye?

Rye??

REALLY?
Because I'm a fan of Sunhook Rye (redhook brewery), and want to make something similar... Spring is almost sprung here in Dixie and it's time for lighter biers!

Also I realize a wheat is an option, 50/50 split of wheat & 2-row, no specialty grains, and an opportunity to try out the new dry wheat yeast. I'm trying to avoid this, as it'd be cheaper to recycle some yeast from another batch.

As for adjuncts, I've got no problem with em, but where's their place in any bier I might want to brew. That's the question... Obviously they're a big part of Belgian bier that uses sugars, etc. but that would have to include pricey liquid yeast. FWIW I'm a big fan of molasses and/or honey in certain brews. My Scottish 80 has molasses in it.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1225 View Post
seize the carp?

Carpe Dentum

Seize the teeth!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

There place is where you want them to be Phillip, and as Ben Franklin said, beggars can't be choosers. It seems to me you're coming at the problem backwards, as in, you want to brew a CHEAP beer. No problem, but if that's your starting point, then think what brews you can craft around that idea. I know the brewers of Great Britain have long embraced brown sugar as an adjunct, in bitters, browns, and other session beers. Think outside the bottle!!!!!!

Teddi

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if you can get cheap wheat that's probably a good way to go. 50/50 wheat beer with any ole neutral ale yeast should make a tasty CHEAP brew. plus it doesn't require much bittering, or really any hop flavor, which would save money on hops.

i think what teddi is saying is that you could probably brew something up a little stronger than a 5% beer with JUDICIOUS use of some adjuncts. people run into trouble when they replace a lot of the malt of a given recipe with plain sugar, but a nice flavorful 5% beer can often be boosted a point or two with a little extra sugar and still taste great.

that being said, with these tight times i don't blame you if you're not in the mood to experiment with adjuncts this time.

single malt, single hop (SMaSH) beers are usually pretty economical and often come out great. this site is full of them.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

Also, I have tried a few "rye" beers and found it to be a mere novelty ingredient which really doesn't come through in the flavor.

-Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply