Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3.2% States and their beer/wine regulations...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedCorpse View Post
Been to Moab with my Jeep club.
Another Jeeper

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #32
teekay
Recipes 

Default Finally found others talking about 3.2 beer.

I am new to South Dakota and when I asked others about this they did not have the faintest idea what I was talking about. Maybe the laws have changed and I am not aware of it. I grew up in California and it was known as a 3.2 beer state. California did have what I would call beer, using the term 'beer' loosely, but if it the ABV was >3.2 then it had to be sold as a malt liquor or a lager. Years ago when I was in Minnesota my relatives said that if you go to a state liquor store look for the label 'strong' stamped in canned beer for beer that is above that level. I should mention that I am speaking of the ABV percentage. I understand that Idaho sells 'strong' beer. I was in Colorado and they had strong beer. One explanation I got was that states in which the drinking age was 18, to avoid losing federal money for street or highway support had to sell 3.2 beer to anyone older than 18 but under 21 years of age. The 3.2 beer could be purchased in grocery stores and the like but strong beer had to be bought in state liquor stores. When I look on the web I don't seem to be asking the right question or things have changed since I was younger. The term 'Near Beer' was used on the web as another name for 3.2 beer and while it may be similar in California when I was growing up it was not considered beer at all. It simply tasted like beer and was sold to minors that wanted to act like they were grown up. Recently, well within the last couple of years I heard something on the radio about how the brewery's wanted to stop making 3.2 beer but there was some resistance to it. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #33
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Man, so much has happened since 2010...
WA state is no longer selling liquor from state run liquor stores anymore for one.
Just curious, what made you dig up this old thread?

Keg #1: RHESB
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Fermenter #1 BMC West
Bottled: 3.5 gal Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) Mead

Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #34
GioGomez2010
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in Utah and beer can be sold in stores as long as it's not over 4.0 ABV. All wine and liquor has to be bought at state liquor stores. They close at 7 pm, and only a few are open past that until ten pm. I just went to a restaurant today and ordered a beer. Could not have the beer until I ordered food and the food had come out. It's ridiculous!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #35
Hlmartin22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ummm Utah= ridiculous.

Gotta have that brew while i wait for my order!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #36
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In PA all the liquor/wine and beer are sold in separate stores. So if you're having a cookout/party/get together (*delete as appropriate), it's off to get the groceries for the meat, hit the liquor store for some wine etc, then hit the beer distributor before you head home!

Fermenter 3 - Green Flash IPA Clone
Fermenter 4, 5 & 6 - Empty
Bottled - Kolsch

Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotBrew
In PA all the liquor/wine and beer are sold in separate stores. So if you're having a cookout/party/get together (*delete as appropriate), it's off to get the groceries for the meat, hit the liquor store for some wine etc, then hit the beer distributor before you head home!
I can't believe this still goes on. I am starting to see a little progress here with Wageman's, and Giant food stores starting to sell beer in one of their stores each. I also like the BMC is a very minor section of the selection At each store. I know Sheetz gas/convince stores are starting to sell beer here in Pa. It's a step in the right direction, but it is baby steps. I recently noticed that Sheetz has been adding some inside seating for their food sales, and their recent commercials brag how they are not recognized as a restaurant but they sale prepared food subs/sandwiches and some locations pizza.
There has been talk here in privatizing the state run liquor stores, but it's always a battle, ad the beer distributors are fighting tooth and nail to stop the sales in the stores which they claim will make then a thing of the past like a video store. But at the same time at the beer distributors you can ONLY buy a case, no single bottles of any size.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
savannahvan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another Utahn here. This state has some pretty humorous laws. My husband just graduated, so were planning to get out ASAP.
The restaurant laws are very silly. I'm almost surprised they even sell wine in restaurants. You cannot buy ANY alcohol at a general/grocery store above 3.2%. So, no. They don't sell wine there. You can only purchase wine from the state liquor store. Luckily I live about 5 minutes away from a liquor store, so my husband and I usually just make a weekly run. Snag some real beer, wine, etc.
It's absurd, obviously, but you do what you need to do. Thank Buhjebus I can homebrew.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioGomez2010 View Post
Could not have the beer until I ordered food and the food had come out.
That's just the restaurant misinterpreting the rules. I get a beer before my food arrives all the time.

Alcohol beverage service in a licensed restaurant requires that you order food with your drink, that your beverage be delivered to your table or counter by your server, and that you consume your drink at or near the table or counter.

Alcohol beverage service in a club does not require that you order food. Full bar service and table service are both available. Persons under the age of 21 are not allowed in the lounge or bar area of a club.

Beer service in "beer only" establishments does not require that you order food. Note, however, that persons under the age of 21 years may not be on the premises of certain "beer only" establishments such as taverns, beer bars, nightclubs, or cabarets.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHatchet View Post
I can't believe this still goes on. I am starting to see a little progress here with Wageman's, and Giant food stores starting to sell beer in one of their stores each. I also like the BMC is a very minor section of the selection. I know Sheetz gas/convince stores are starting to sell beer here in Pa. It's a step in the right direction, but it is baby steps. I recently noticed that Sheetz has been adding some inside seating for their food sales, and their recent commercials brag how they are not recognized as a restaurant but they sale prepared food subs/sandwiches and some locations pizza.
There has been talk here in privatizing the state run liquor stores, but it's always a battle, ad the beer distributors are fighting tooth and nail to stop the sales in the stores which they claim will make then a thing of the past like a video store. But at the same time at the beer distributors you can ONLY buy a case, no single bottles of any size.
Coming from Scotland I couldn't believe these crazy rules when my other half told me about them. I was like WHAT?! I was so used to picking up a few beers/couple bottles of wine with groceries without thinking twice. Now I've kinda gotten used to the whole separate store here so it's almost the 'norm'.

And I love Wegman's! Not only can you get 4 packs of Guinness draft but I can get my Irn Bru Scottish Soda from there too! $2 a bottle is mad but it's worth it!
Fermenter 3 - Green Flash IPA Clone
Fermenter 4, 5 & 6 - Empty
Bottled - Kolsch

Quick Reply