Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3.2% States and their beer/wine regulations...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
jds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Here in CO, 3.2% beer can be sold at grocery and convenience stores, but no wine. Liquor stores are not state-owned, and are in abundance, selling full-strength beer, wine, and liquor.

Until the last few years, liquor stores were required to close on Sundays, but groceries and convenience stores could sell 3.2% beer on Sundays.

Recently, the state allowed liquor stores to sell on Sundays also. The groceries and conv. stores are now pushing a measure allowing them to sell full-strength beer as well.

Note, however, that there is one grocery store (a Safeway) near my in-laws that managed to obtain a liquor license, so it also sells full-strength beer, wine, and liquor. I don't know all the details of the particular loophole the store was able to use to obtain the liquor license.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
iahebert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Note, however, that there is one grocery store (a Safeway) near my in-laws that managed to obtain a liquor license, so it also sells full-strength beer, wine, and liquor. I don't know all the details of the particular loophole the store was able to use to obtain the liquor license.
I'm not totally sure, but I think the loophole is that 1 branch of a chain may sell full strength alcohol. I've heard that there is a Supertarget in Greeley that also sells Beer, Wine, and Liquor, but it's Greeley, and i'm scared to go there.

Primary: Nothing
Conditioning/Drinking: Centennial Pale Ale
On Deck: Banana Cream Rye

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Anyone here from Utah? They have the most back asswards liquor laws I've ever seen.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
Anyone here from Utah? They have the most back asswards liquor laws I've ever seen.
Very true.

UT only has 2.7mil people, and 60.4% of those people are Mormon. Mormons don't consume alcohol, so that only leaves about 1mil people that do in the whole state. Couple that with the fact that the majority of politicians in UT are Mormon and don't drink, but are making the rules for those that do, it will be a cold day in hell when those laws change.

Now home brewing did become legal in 2009 in UT, it probably has not had enough time to catch on. Probably no LHBS's in the state yet. Sounds like a decent business venture.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 03-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
steinsato

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Moab, UT has atleast 2 microwbreweries in town but that is kind of a border town and has tons of tourists going through it for the National Parks, mountain biking, off roading, white water rafting etc. I'm sure its the tourists keeping those businesses alive. I imagine the government there doesn't make it easy to start a brewery.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #26
BenDover
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedCorpse View Post
I've been searching the WA Liquor Control Board and can't seem to find a maximum ABV for beer. "Malt Beverage" is a maximum of 8% ABW and anything above that is considered "Strong Beer".
I poked around leg.wa.gov and couldn't find a max anywhere. It's probably codified in some obscure WAC that you're not going to find unless somebody tells you where it's at.

IIRC the owner of the local contract liquor store saying 13% was the strongest beer he could legally sell.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #27
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMOHophead View Post
Missouri sales liquor pretty much anywhere. We even have areas in KC that you can have an open beer outside in public (Power and Light and sometimes in Westport) On the other side of state line road in Kansas, they are a 3.2 state. As you might guess, we make some money off those poor Kansans!
What I don't get is why, in Kansas City, are the LHB shops on the kansas side? The worst part about brew day for me is having to drive all the way to Bacchus and Barleycorn. I do love the store, just wish there was something closer.

On another note, Missouri does have some awesome liquor laws (thank you Anheuser-Busch!). In fact, it's totally legal for passengers to drink on all roads except for a few municipalities around the state. 3.2 beer? What the hell is that? It wasn't until I came home with a 12-pack of Bully Porter from the Hen House in OP that I discovered 3.2 beer even existed. You can imagine my disappointment.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #28
Stratotankard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Arkansas has some pretty screwy laws. Some counties are dry, with no alcohol sold at all. You can usually spot these by the large liquor store, seemingly in the middle of nowhere on the interstate, strategically located just across the county line. I live in a town that is dry inside a county that is wet. I can drive a mile down the road and buy at a liquor store, but can't "legally" drink it on my front porch. It's a law not strictly enforced, but there none the less.

Selection here is sad. As I understand it, distributors have to go through the state for approval for a new beer they want to sell to liquor stores and the red tape and fees are pretty brutal. It's not worth it to them to try to sell niche beers. I can get exactly 2 sour beers in Little Rock, La Follie and Choc Beer's sour (don't remember the name but it was rather bland).

I don't understand local morality laws, when the same vice can be had legally, in some cases literally, across the street.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
iahebert
Recipes 

Ok, I also did some digging around the RCW site, and here's what i found. RCW 66.16.010 states there is a $.42/liter tax on spirits, which are defined under definition 40 as alcohol obtained by distillation...exceeding twenty-four percent of alcohol by volume.

I'm not sure if there is a set ABV that stores can't sell beer at, because i know the DFH 120 minute is definitely up there, and you can buy that at grocery stores (provided you can find it).

Primary: Nothing
Conditioning/Drinking: Centennial Pale Ale
On Deck: Banana Cream Rye

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
Moab, UT has atleast 2 microwbreweries in town but that is kind of a border town and has tons of tourists going through it for the National Parks, mountain biking, off roading, white water rafting etc. I'm sure its the tourists keeping those businesses alive. I imagine the government there doesn't make it easy to start a brewery.
Been to Moab with my Jeep club. Great place! This was about 5 years ago and I was drinking more "spirits", I didn't pay attention to the beer that much, but I know people were complaining about the 3.2% stuff. I don't know if those breweries are 3.2% as well, or maybe they get a special circumstance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
I poked around leg.wa.gov and couldn't find a max anywhere. It's probably codified in some obscure WAC that you're not going to find unless somebody tells you where it's at.

IIRC the owner of the local contract liquor store saying 13% was the strongest beer he could legally sell.
Ya, seems to be an illusive number. We've found DFH 120min at 18%, so it's at least that, but no Utopias at 27%. Either it's illegal, or just not distributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahebert View Post
Ok, I also did some digging around the RCW site, and here's what i found. RCW 66.16.010 states there is a $.42/liter tax on spirits, which are defined under definition 40 as alcohol obtained by distillation...exceeding twenty-four percent of alcohol by volume.

I'm not sure if there is a set ABV that stores can't sell beer at, because i know the DFH 120 minute is definitely up there, and you can buy that at grocery stores (provided you can find it).
The $.42/liter "surcharge" was removed in 2007, it was probably to pay for a project that finished.

As of August 1st 2009, our current Liquor Tax is 51.9% . Up from 39.2%. Way expensive to drink "spirits" here.

Even though liquor is expensive here, I just have to feel lucky we can get our beer unregulated (for the most part). I feel sorry for the states that have crappy laws. I just don't get it. I can get just as drunk on 3.2% beer as I can on 18% beer, it's just going to take me more of it.

Quick Reply