Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3.2% in Colorado?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
BeerRenter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3.2% in Colorado?

Just moved to Colorado. Might as well be Utah. They say that you can only buy 3.2 beer in the grocery stores here. So I see all the big brands in full strength and lite (GHTs included)...

For a minute, I think that it was all a conspiracy and that all the major brands are 3.2 beers. Bud, Miller and Coors light taste watered down enough. You can drink 12 of them and sill pee straight! They could be...? Right?

Then I go on realbeer.com and check out the percentages and I was surprised to see Budwiser at 5%. What gives? Do the major breweries really brew special batches with lower alcohol content for Utah and Colorado grocery stores? Or, am I confused about Colorado's laws? When I buy cheap beer at the liquor store, am I buying 3.2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
bummerkit
Recipes 

I love how people make fun of utah like its the only state with tough alcohol laws.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

That just seems wierd with all the small/mid size brewery's in CO. Don't know the answer though other than yep, BMC's make 3.2 for these states. But, since you're here, I assume you brew?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yah, I moved to Oklamhoma after going to school in Indiana. I was drinking Buds at home wondering if I was turning into an alky. Drink a 12r w/o issue. I used to go out on Mondays after work and put down 2-3 large mugs at a place called Garfield's then come home feeling like a lightweight.

I mentioned this to somebody at work and I was told about the 3.2 at grocery store and like 4.8 at the bar. I though OK that explains it to me.

I though it was really stupid. Let people drink low ABV at home but let them drive home with higher ABV from the bar or resturant.

It would be so easy to get a DUI this way. Its really a$$backwards.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
BeerRenter
Recipes 

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
That just seems wierd with all the small/mid size brewery's in CO. Don't know the answer though other than yep, BMC's make 3.2 for these states. But, since you're here, I assume you brew?
I brew. Saves the day sometimes. X-mas was on a Saturday followed by a Sunday. Liquor stores were closed for two WEEKEND--HOLIDAY days! Luckily, I had a stash of some home brews hidden in the closet.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
BrokeCollegeStudent
Recipes 

Yea man, i live in washington state and our beer sux here. My pops is from South Dakota, where you can get some "high-point" beer as they call it. Its impressive. You think you only drink a 6-pack but its all of a half case washington beer. Odd thing is, its the same beer, bud light, coors light, all those are just pumped full of booze compared to wash, ore, idaho. no clue about the brewery thing, but im sure it is since they are high alk content. We just have more micro brewerys than you can shake a stick at around here so i enjoy their beer. Soon to enjoy my own.

BrokeCollegeStudent

"Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity." Karl Marx

Last edited by BrokeCollegeStudent; 02-16-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but it seems this is the case:

Quote:
Today the term "near beer" has been revived by some people to refer to modern versions of non-alcoholic beer. The term is also sometimes used derisively to refer to beer deliberately brewed with lower alcohol content. For example, in some jurisdictions (Minnesota, Colorado and Utah, for example), beer sold in some establishments (such as supermarket chains and convenience stores) must be less than 3.2% ABW (4% ABV). This style of reduced alcohol beer is also referred to as 3.2 beer (Minnesota has a full-service alcohol license, permitting sales of beers up to the normal alcohol level, but 3.2 licenses are easier to obtain).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_beer

Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Back in the day we had 3.2 nightclubs that you had to be eighteen to enter. Lots of them had drink and drown nights. I can tell you that it is very possible to get s*** faced if you drink enough 3.2 beer. What a god awful hang over though.

Then there was the Bare and Boogie 3.2 strip club...

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Yea man, i live in washington state and our beer sux here. My pops is from South Dakota, where you can get some "high-point" beer as they call it. Its impressive. You think you only drink a 6-pack but its all of a half case washington beer. Odd thing is, its the same beer, bud light, coors light, all those are just pumped full of booze compared to wash, ore, idaho. no clue about the brewery thing, but im sure it is since they are high alk content. We just have more micro brewerys than you can shake a stick at around here so i enjoy their beer. Soon to enjoy my own.
You folks east of the mountains need to catch up. Since the big beer law passed in Washington State two years ago, we can buy any beer in the supermarket 7 days a week. The local grocery store sells DogfishHead Worldwide Stout and a ton of Belgians that the alcohol levels are pushing 10% and beyond. There are no longer limits on the alcohol content on beer able to be sold in this state.

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Yah, I moved to Oklamhoma after going to school in Indiana. I was drinking Buds at home wondering if I was turning into an alky. Drink a 12r w/o issue. I used to go out on Mondays after work and put down 2-3 large mugs at a place called Garfield's then come home feeling like a lightweight.

I mentioned this to somebody at work and I was told about the 3.2 at grocery store and like 4.8 at the bar. I though OK that explains it to me.

I though it was really stupid. Let people drink low ABV at home but let them drive home with higher ABV from the bar or resturant.

It would be so easy to get a DUI this way. Its really a$$backwards.
Yep, still is. However there is that is supposedly circulating a petition to get a bill on the ballot that let's you sell wine or strong beer at grocery stores. They're not doing a very good job, though. I've been trying to track them down for several months, but can't.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,