*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 1/2 gallons of beer on the keezer floor, 3 1/2 gallons of beer....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Kleggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3 1/2 gallons of beer on the keezer floor, 3 1/2 gallons of beer....

On 10/02 I brewed a Great Lakes holiday ale clone, had it in primary for 3 weeks, cold crashed for another 2, and patiently let it carb up in the keg. Wednesday night I put the beer line on and pulled a glass and was amazed how well it turned out. Even the wife said she would drink it, and she doesn't drink!

Thursday I take 1/2 day off work, and on a whim I open the keezer lid and just about vomited upon seeing a pool of beer covering the floor. I was too irritated to take a photo. There was a small leak in the pin lock connector, and it was apparently spitting all night and morning. Completely my fault for not checking it.

I'm looking at it as having saved 1 1/2 gallons of great beer and getting an expensive lesson. Although I did consider calling a few friends and getting some long straws.

OK, it really feels better having talked about it. Of course I'd love to hear more keezer puddle stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 468 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I woulda tilted the keezer and figured out how to get that beer back into the keg

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
I woulda tilted the keezer and figured out how to get that beer back into the keg
If his keezer is anything like mine, he probably wouldn't want to drink anything that pooled up down there...

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleggo
On 10/02 I brewed a Great Lakes holiday ale clone, had it in primary for 3 weeks, cold crashed for another 2, and patiently let it carb up in the keg. Wednesday night I put the beer line on and pulled a glass and was amazed how well it turned out. Even the wife said she would drink it, and she doesn't drink!

Thursday I take 1/2 day off work, and on a whim I open the keezer lid and just about vomited upon seeing a pool of beer covering the floor. I was too irritated to take a photo. There was a small leak in the pin lock connector, and it was apparently spitting all night and morning. Completely my fault for not checking it.

I'm looking at it as having saved 1 1/2 gallons of great beer and getting an expensive lesson. Although I did consider calling a few friends and getting some long straws.

OK, it really feels better having talked about it. Of course I'd love to hear more keezer puddle stories.
O you wanna hear a puddle story hu!?! Well I brewed a simcoe ipa that was awesome, had that flowery over hopped tasted which at least I love? Well I had that. And I used 2 rolls of paper towels to soak it up so I could throw it in the trash. Wasted about 3 oz. Of precious simcoe, I didn't care about the grain or work. So I can relate. Change your o ring is my recommendation

Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
ryanmbeal
Recipes 

Default Stupid Cat

Not long after building my keezer with 4 perlick taps I came home to find close to 5 gallons of APA on the garage floor and a empty tank of C02.

One of the cats that live in the garage jumped up on the top of the keezer and knocked the tap handle forward. There was no saving it.

I'm now using custom tap handles with elastic bands running through them to serve as automatic shut offs.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1251 Times on 1009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmbeal;3481347[...
One of the cats that live in the garage jumped up on the top of the keezer and knocked the tap handle forward. There was no saving it. [...]
That's ok, there are more than enough cats around, anyway...

Cheers

Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
baddad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ugg that six. :'(

Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #8