Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 25 Year old Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
commandercool724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 25 Year old Beer

in an ongoing effort to have enough bottles for all my beer I asked my Dad to keep is eye out for bottles. He called me today from our house in wisconsin and said he found 3 cases of Point bottles in the garage (Point is a brewery in Wisconsin) he said one of the cases was still full of beer.... they are 25 years old. should I try one? can it hurt me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm no doctor. But from what I recall, due to alcohol and hops. Beer rarely spoils if bottled w the right sanitation. Doesn't mean it will taste good though. Some beers are made to be drunk fresh. Others are meant for aging.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
TheCarnie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Yeah, that's probably gone by now, but nothing there that could actually hurt you. (Aside from dead taste buds!)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would pop atleast one and taste it. Maybe tasting more as I pour them out.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A very long story made very short:

My sister found some homebrew that she had made back in 1993 (17 years ago). 27 bottles of an Irish Stout, extract, Mountmellick Special Irish Stout or whatever and Alexander's Amber Extract, IIRC, are the labels found with it. This "find" was less than a month ago... they cracked one open, and ALL of them, even the friend that was with them - who is not much of a beer drinker let alone any kind of homebrewer or afficiando of any sort - declared that it was the perfect aroma, and the best tasting beer any of them ever had in their entire life. A very pleasant surprise for all.

My sister still won't let any of us forget what a "great" brewer she is... even though that was the last batch of homebrew she ever made! Now she's got the brewbug again, so that's a good thing.

Bottom line is, she and her friends were absolute fanatics about sanitation with every aspect, start to finish, of the entire brew process. I'd say it pays off huge.

- Tim

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I once had a Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, which I estimated to be approximately 10 to 15 years old. It didn't taste that great. A very brown suggary/coppery taste. It was weird.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My bro found a case of porter he made 14 years ago when cleaning out his basement. We chilled it for a day and it tasted fine. 25 years is a bit long, but then again--I thought 14 was too long also. As long as it's still pressurized and looks like beer (no mold or giant oyster looking things living in it) it's probably going to be OK. But after all, I am just some dude on the internet...

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drank a Bud that was 5 years past its due date. Bad decision.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_it_black View Post
I once had a Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, which I estimated to be approximately 10 to 15 years old. It didn't taste that great. A very brown suggary/coppery taste. It was weird.
Not a very good beer even fresh, though (I lived in PDX for 9 years, and even in Vancouver, WA for a few months (over towards that Bell's brewpub or whatever the hell it's called, in the church).

Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
Not a very good beer even fresh, though (I lived in PDX for 9 years, and even in Vancouver, WA for a few months (over towards that Bell's brewpub or whatever the hell it's called, in the church).
Ah, never heard of it. I lived in Salmon Creek.

I recently moved to Liverpool. Let me tell ya, the beer selection here, compared to the Northwest...SUCKS. Even the "real ale" is rather unadventurous, and you can only get that in some pubs. IF you want bottled beer, it's basically...Carsberg, Stella, or Boddingtons. :/

Quick Reply