225 IBU's with 1.1% ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0weno

Reaction score
the lower the gravity of the boil the more hops utilization you get and more bittering. with an ABV of 1.1% the wart must of had a stupid low SG. which would mean a very high utilization and if they dumped a boat load of hops in there then yea i would say its possible.

...and even more interesting, the bottom of that article.

"Koch is working with the world's oldest brewery, Weihenstephan in Freising, Bavaria (founded in 1040), to jump-start a new tradition of innovation. "My suggestion was, let's develop an entirely new style within the confines of the Reinheitsgebot, something radically different," he says of his first meeting with his counterpart at Weihenstephan, Josef Schrädler, a year and a half ago. Their collaborative beer doesn't have a name yet. According to Koch, it will have a double-digit alcohol content but a champagne-like effervescence and crispness on the palate, quite unlike the heavy malt character of a German doppelbock. The brew will undergo multiple fermentations, possibly with both ale and lager yeast strains. "

I can't wait. I generally don't drink anything purchased unless it's German or a local micro.

I'd like to see a lab report to back up that 225 IBUs. Everything I've ever read says that's way beyond the saturation point.

Yeah, there's calculated IBUs (by some formula that does not take into account the dynamics of solubility as you approach saturation), and then there's measured (typically, by titration or mass spec). I can get Promash to tell me I have 500 IBUs in my beer, but the lab will tell me differently.

TL

Back