The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2013 NHC first round results?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

My beers are going to be judged this weekend, I believe. I hope I get results in time to know whether I should be saving anything before I haul them off to the Southern California Homebrew Festival for mass consumption.

One entry was a nearly 2 year old mead, and another was a lager, so it's not like I have time to rebrew either one. I suppose I might be able to get the lager done in time for a second round entry if I brewed it this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

I also got my score sheets back, Seattle.
I don't enter in competitions very often, brewing since 2008 and first time last year on a WA state match got a bronze, felt good.
This year, started with another WA state competition and did a gold and a silver. Even knowing that entries were not many, felt like I may had some chances on the NHC. Scored nothing with 4 entries . Oh well, so many more entries and possibly much higher quality beers. Comfort would come with the valuable feedback from the score sheets. That's where my disappointment is.
In most entries and where I can translate the hand writing, very mixed notes from the judges. On one brew for example, one say coriander is not noticed while the other stated it is perfectly balanced. Also, I wonder how judges evaluate bitterness. My amber ale had, as per calculation, 36 IBU's, late additions + dry hopping, which is within BJCP guidelines for an amber. I got judges saying it needed extra IBU's. Last year's NHC gold for American Amber Ale gives his recipe as having 66 IBU's. Isn't this out of style?
I know, number of available judges are limited and perception vary, but these score sheets doesn't help me much to improve my beers.
Anyways, preparing for the next WA state match in few weeks.

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Regarding IBUs in Ambers, I judged American Ales in a competition a month or so ago, and got into an argument with my co-judge on that topic. One of the entries we were judging was (IMO) way too hoppy and bitter for the style, but he was contending that there were several recent commercial examples of American Amber that are more bitter, and that the IBUs were in line with those beers. Which was true...the IBUs WERE comparable to those beers.

HOWEVER, none of those beers are commercial examples in the style guidelines, and per the guidelines the beers that are listed are much lower IBU than these other more recent examples. So, anyway I think maybe there are some folks out there whose conception of the style is clouded by a lot of the more recent beers which call themselves American Amber/Red, but which are way more bitter than the BJCP guidelines for that style.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

They would have filled 1, 2 or 3 in the "Place Awarded" section on the coversheet if you had advanced. That's what we were doing in St. Paul at least.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
JustLooking
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 33

So, if I read it right, there were four regions scored last weekend. It looks like only Washington has returned score sheets so far. Anything to report from KC, St Paul or NY?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
So, if I read it right, there were four regions scored last weekend. It looks like only Washington has returned score sheets so far. Anything to report from KC, St Paul or NY?
I heard KC was scored last weekend, mailed scores this week.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I believe Atlanta is judging this weekend.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
They would have filled 1, 2 or 3 in the "Place Awarded" section on the coversheet if you had advanced. That's what we were doing in St. Paul at least.
Not necessarily. Last year the Philly region sent the scoresheets back and didn't write in these boxes. I almost drank all the Munich Helles thinking it didn't advance (it did with a silver) and I won a silver at NHC with it.

If your score is higher than a 30, then keep 3 bottles aside until the NHC releases all the results.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
The PNW region has their stuff together, and historically have been the ones to get the results out first. They actually posted the results on the Washington homebrewers website, but took it down after a request from the AHA.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
ColeR
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
If your score is higher than a 30, then keep 3 bottles aside until the NHC releases all the results.
The rules say you may re-brew the same recipe and send in to the final round IF you progressed. i hope i do progress, as i wasn't happy with that batch, i didn't watch my water lvl to close, so instead of 10 gal, i accidentally made 11 gal. so i got a 30.5 on a watered down ver. of what i expected.

but i have re-brewed it with the right water levels, still in the secondary ... i can hope...

CR-

Quick Reply