Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2013 AHA convention

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default 2013 AHA convention

I'm a member of a NJ home brewing club of about 50 members.
We want to attend the AHA in Pliladelphia next summer.
I have never been to the national event.... although my American Brown Ale thankfully made the trip in 2011
We want to participate as a club. Any help on this from seasoned AHA attendees would be great!! Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
billf2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Our brew club is located about 45 minutes NW of philly, we are also attending. I am not involved in that yet, but we do have a commitee working on it. PM me your email info, I will see if I can get our guys to send you what we have. I am taking vacation around it.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Start here: http://www.ahaconference.org/events/club-night/ and sign your club up.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
mtyquinn
Brewer / Designer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad to hear it's in Philly next year. I certainly will try to go.

"studiopub" for 10% off Grog Tag

Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

If you ever thought you might like to go, keep in mind that we probably won't see another Northeast location anytime soon. We'll be lucky to find it on the East coast at all in the next few years. For many, next year is a rare opportunity.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Speaking as a club officer who's club served at the Seattle one last year here's some advice.

1. You will *NOT* get volunteer passes. If you sign up to work club night and none of your members can *PURCHASE* a general pass, too bad. You won't be serving. If only one person can get a pass, guess what? He's working it alone.

2. The AHA only sold 1500 passes to the event - nationwide. They sold out in 2 days. This, in a region where we can't get venues big enough to hold "regular" beer festivals (http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/wa...ival-time-now/)

3. To say the locals who couldn't attend were a bit upset... is an understatement. We're honestly thinking of doing our own AHA independent regional conference. WAHA already runs the largest pro-am competition in the area, it's just the next logical step.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhrks View Post
Speaking as a club officer who's club served at the Seattle one last year here's some advice.

1. You will *NOT* get volunteer passes. If you sign up to work club night and none of your members can *PURCHASE* a general pass, too bad. You won't be serving. If only one person can get a pass, guess what? He's working it alone.

2. The AHA only sold 1500 passes to the event - nationwide. They sold out in 2 days. This, in a region where we can't get venues big enough to hold "regular" beer festivals (http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/wa...ival-time-now/)

3. To say the locals who couldn't attend were a bit upset... is an understatement. We're honestly thinking of doing our own AHA independent regional conference. WAHA already runs the largest pro-am competition in the area, it's just the next logical step.
Thanks for the input, We are local to Philadelphia and that is the main reason we are attending.... It was a bit crazy buying tickets but all members were forewarned by us and the AHA too. At the end of the day (literally) everyone got a ticket who wanted to go. The idea of getting in for 'free' because our club wanted to participate in club night never crossed our minds and I'm a bit surprised that anyone thought that that was a possibility.
I agree that the entire ticket process was poorly designed, and club night this year seems to be suffering logistic issues, but it will be a great party and wonderful week we will not forget for some time to come.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I'm pretty sure everyone in my club that wanted to go was registered as well. I realize it can be frustrating if local people can't get registered and it would be even worse for the red headed step children of the Northeast to have the problem because it's probably not coming back anytime soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBelli View Post
The idea of getting in for 'free' because our club wanted to participate in club night never crossed our minds and I'm a bit surprised that anyone thought that that was a possibility.
Um, we weren't trying to get into the conference for free. There were two nights that clubs were asked/expected to pour at the conference. You simply couldn't *WORK* the events without a ticket.

It's functionally the same thing as making the cook and wait staff pay out of pocket for the opportunity to cook/serve at a restaurant.

You don't put out a call for "volunteers" and then expect them to pay the full package price for being an attraction at your event.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhrks View Post
Um, we weren't trying to get into the conference for free. There were two nights that clubs were asked/expected to pour at the conference. You simply couldn't *WORK* the events without a ticket.

It's functionally the same thing as making the cook and wait staff pay out of pocket for the opportunity to cook/serve at a restaurant.

You don't put out a call for "volunteers" and then expect them to pay the full package price for being an attraction at your event.
Well, true you "work" at the event for an hour, but that's about it and it's fun work. The events are still available to people who serve for their club for an hour. It's hardly the same thing as a cook and waiter who actually don't get to eat the food or participate with the party guests. You can leave your booth and go visit other booths, get some good beers, visit the vendors, chat up Charlie Papazian, grab some swag, get more good beers, pop into a seminar, etc.

It's not like you have a ball and chain around your ankle, and on "club night" it's a wild and crazy party with 1000 people. All of the clubs participating have tons of volunteers as a rule, all of whom bought a ticket to be in there. You can walk away and have another club member cover for you, so that everybody gets a chance to hang out.

The hospitality suite is set up so your club might work a whole hour, serving beer to cool people. But again, it's fun to do and even with the "work", it's still sold out.

In order to have volunteers ONLY work, they'd need to be designated to stay in one corner the whole time. And that sure doesn't happen!

Most attendees all volunteer in lots of ways.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
CBelli Likes This 

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS