Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2011 - Hop Shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Hannable1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default 2011 - Hop Shortage?

Anyone see anything else about this? I admit, I was not brewing in the 2007 shortage / fire disaster year - but have read about what it did to supplies. This kinda makes me want to order a lot and horde them now ! LOL - But seriously - does this make anyone elsw want to stock up?

Craft brewers facing another hop shortage in 2011

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
JasonInBTR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like it is time to start growing. Have to see what the SWMBO would think about this.....

Primary - Barleywine, APA, IPA, Strawberry, Pumpkin
Secondary -
Kegged - Raspberry Wheat
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck -

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Didn't they also say there was going to be a hop shortage for 2010 that never happened?

I'm not saying it's not possible there will be a hop shortage but it seems like the hop distributors say this each year to push volumes...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nothing to contribute on the hop shortage but can't help commenting on Jason's avatar. I swear looks like a picture of my Sophia who is curled up at my feet as I type.

Sophie was a stray/rescue & close to death when she collapsed in our yard Summer '09. She's the gentlest/biggest heart dog I've ever known. American White Shepherds are such a great breed. Sorry for the hijack! IPA out!

make beer not war

MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvIPA View Post
Nothing to contribute on the hop shortage but can't help commenting on Jason's avatar. I swear looks like a picture of my Sophia who is curled up at my feet as I type.

Sophie was a stray/rescue & close to death when she collapsed in our yard Summer '09. She's the gentlest/biggest heart dog I've ever known. American White Shepherds are such a great breed. Sorry for the hijack! IPA out!
For the record - any thread I ever write is always welcome to a hijack about a shelter rescue dog - I'm sitting here listening to Daisy , my beagle , snore like a trucker fresh off of the highway... Cheers to you and Sophie
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

That article says Sierra Nevada is looking towards whole cone hops because of a hop shortage. This makes no sense for 2 reasons: SN says they only use whole cone hops. Also, whole cone or pellet, a hop is a hop, its not like they grow pellets it was a whole cone at some point. Maybe I read that wrong an SN is looking for pellets since whole cones are in short supply.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
JasonInBTR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvIPA View Post

He's a pretty tough dog as he has four cats to keep after.....hence the sleeping. I actually just started working from home a couple days a week and it is absolutely amazing how much he naps. Tough life!

Primary - Barleywine, APA, IPA, Strawberry, Pumpkin
Secondary -
Kegged - Raspberry Wheat
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck -

Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

docRobert - It seems that the lautering website's writeup of the original article from Rogue was poorly worded. The original is more referencing the volatility of the pellet market vs. whole hops, not that one is superior to another.

Most agri-business is run on contracts, seems that some of the smaller breweries are starting to figure out why.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
That article says Sierra Nevada is looking towards whole cone hops because of a hop shortage. This makes no sense for 2 reasons: SN says they only use whole cone hops. Also, whole cone or pellet, a hop is a hop, its not like they grow pellets it was a whole cone at some point. Maybe I read that wrong an SN is looking for pellets since whole cones are in short supply.
You would think SN had all the hops they needed on contract like the rest of the major breweries .

Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
BKmyWAY
Recipes 

Well I will be doing my part to keep the hop supply down...

A wise man knows that he knows not.....

Quick Reply