Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2007 Lobuck Rules Committee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default 2007 Lobuck Rules Committee

Ok. This thread is for debating the rules for the 2007 LOBUCK HOMEBREW CHALLENGE.

Here's what I have so far. Feel free to make suggestions, comments, or ask questions. This thread is ONLY about defining the rules. A thread for competitors will come later.

Quote:
The Concept
People say homebrewing is more expensive than buying beer from the local store. People say that quality beer is expensive. People say that homebrewing is an inefficient, expensive way of attaining a buzz. This contest is designed to prove them wrong.

A keg of Budweiser/Coors/Miller, purchased retail, costs about $3.42 per gallon. For that price, any number of great home recipes can be brewed, but we can go even cheaper than that! The goal of this contest is to encourage brewers to develop recipes which create the best possible beer for the lowest possible price using ingredients commonly available to the homebrewer. Cheaper than buying Budweiser/Miller/Coors. Cheaper, even, than bottled water! And better tasting too!

The limit for this year is (tentatively) set as follows:

$2.07 per gallon of beer made from extract
$1.80 per gallon made from a partial mash recipe
$1.35 per gallon made from all grain

If you go over the limit, points will be deducted

DEADLINE:
Judging will commence on April 1, 2007

THE RULES

1. The winner will be the homebrewer who brews what the judges deem to be the best beer, both in flavor and in adherence to the rules and judging guidelines. There are no style guidelines. Every beer, whether it’s an experimental, American lager, IPA, stout, ESB, etc will be judged against all other beers. Consideration will be primarily given to the brewers skill at producing something that tastes most like a commercially-produced brew. The brewer may, but is not required to, state the style or brand which his beer most resembles.

2. The brewer may buy his ingredients from any supplier and the actual price paid for these supplies is irrelevant. Your ingredient price is to be computed as the cost charged by (fill in the name of the sponsoring homebrew website here), exclusive of shipping or taxes. In the event that this sponsor does not have your desired ingredient, you may use (insert the name of other homebrew sites here) to find the price. In the event that your desired ingredient is not available through any of these websites, peapod.com will be used. In the event that Peapod doesn’t have your ingredient, you must contact the judges for a ruling.

3. You may certainly use close-out specials, out-of-date ingredients, etc., however for the purpose of computing cost for this contest, all ingredients will be deemed to have been purchased at the regular advertised price.

4. For all brewers, specialty grains will be priced by the pound.
For Extract and Partial Mash Brewers, standard malts (DME or LME) will be priced on the assumption that you are purchasing 25 pounds. For All-Grain brewers, standard malts will be priced on the assumption that you are buying a 55lb bag.

5. For all brewers, hops will be priced by the pound.

6. Water is a “free” ingredient. The brewer has the choice of using tap water, or else filtered water costing under $1.00 per gallon. Because water quality varies significantly, the purpose of this rule is to permit people living in locations with awful water to compete on a level playing field. Any use of mineral water, flavored water, or spring water that does not normally come out of the tap will require the brewer to include the entire cost of the water in his cost computation.

7. The cost of the yeast shall be computed as per rule #1 except the cost of the yeast will then be divided by three to account for the possibility of repitching the yeast cake a time or two.

8. There is an ABSOLUTE prohibition on the addition of alcohol such as vodka or everclear to increase the alcohol content or for added “flavor”.

THE JUDGES
The judges will comprise of experienced beer drinkers and hopefully an experienced judge or two. Applicants should contact “Toot” on homebrewtalk.com. I intend to be a judge, and I would like maybe 2 others.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 12-28-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Toot,

I've been writing something small up myself. Maybe combining the two would be good.

Mission:
The goal of this contest is to motivate creative brewers to develop recipes which result in the best possible beer for the lowest possible price using ingredients commonly available to the homebrewer.

Basics:
This contest is all about how to brew a drinkable beer at the lowest price possible. Anyone can create a super cheap 'beer' by adding fermentable grains and yeast, the goal is to have a beer that tastes good for less than you can buy a large brewery beer.

The Contest:
Homebrewers will create a recipe using the following ingredients available to homebrewers: Grains, Adjuncts/Flavoring, Hops, and Yeast. The brewer must submit a copy of the recipe and a drinkable sample (1 - 12oz or larger bottle) to each of the judges for adjudication. Judging will not be based upon style, but will be based upon recipe price, alcohol content, and taste. Beer of any style may be entered, but entries are limited to BEER. Ciders, meads, wines, and/or other spirits are strictly prohibited. Recipe and samples must be provided to the judges no later than midnight, April 1, 2007. Late entries will NOT be judged. If enough entries are provided, 2 sub-categories will be created for judging All-Grain and, separately, Extract recipes. Partial Mash recipes will be judged as All-Grain for this purpose.

Price will be judged at a price per gallon formula based on a total of all ingredients. You may get your ingredients from any place, at any price you choose. However, for judging, prices will be computed based on the average price of your ingredients as listed at online homebrew sites listed below. Any grocery style ingredient not found on those sites will be based upon the peapod.com price for the item. Price of yeast will be averaged, and divided by three (assuming you can use 1 vial of yeast to brew 3 batches of beer).

Grain/Malt Extract prices will be priced on the BULK purchase price. For grains, cost per pound will be the cost of a 50 (or 55 if that's the only price you can find) pound bag, divided by total weight (IE: $32.00 for 50# of 2-row = 0.64/#). For malt extract, cost per pound will be the cost of a 50 pound bag/can, divided by the total weight (IE: $155 for 50# of Amber DME = $3.10/#).

Rules:
1. Brewer must submit a copy of the recipe plus 1 sample to each judge no later than April 1, 2007
2. Recipe must include a complete list of all ingredients used in the brew, including grains, adjuncts, hops, and yeast, as well as mashing instructions for your grains (AG/PM only).
3. All recipes/samples must be 'beer.' A subjective term, but this means no ciders, meads, wines, or other spirits.
4. Alcohol content in your recipe must come 100% from yeast attenuation of fermentable sugars. No ABV boosters or use of alcoholic spirits permitted.

Rating:

Points will be awarded based on the following categories:

ABV-

< 3.5% = 1 points
3.5% - 4.5% = 3 points
> 4.6% = 7 points

Price-
All grain and Extract will be rated separately. Partial Mash counts as all grain.

AG
> $2.07 = 1 points
$2.06 - 1.45 = 3 points
< 1.44 = 7 points

Extract
> $3.41 = 1 points
$3.40 - 2.08 = 3 points
< $2.07 = 7 points

Overall Taste/Body/Mouthfeel rating: 1 to 10 points

Old 12-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I like a LOT of that, jezter. Unfortunately, I have to run for a bit and may not be back until late. I'll start to incorporate your stuff into mine and we (and whoever else wants to be involved) can hash out the differences when I get back. It looks good.

Or.. heck. This contest is quite a bit bigger than me. You guys can debate without me! :-)

Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
jezter6
Recipes 

I'd like to add the following (subject to debate):

Rule 5: All beer must be BOTTLE conditioned. Cost of priming sugar should be included in your recipe. No beer guns. (This levels the playing field for those of us without kegging systems)

Prohibited Ingredients List:
Alcohol Boosters
Irish Moss
Any other clearing agent
Filters of ANY type once the beer gets put into the primary. That means you can filter out all you want out of the kettle, but once the yeast is in...it stays. Again, only to level the playing field for those without advanced equipment.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I agree on everything except for irish moss. If the brewer wants to spend part of his budget that way, he should be allowed to do so.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Alcohol boosters are just corn sugar; isn't part of the point of this to figure out what kinds of cheap adjuncts can still contribute to a good brew?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Yes. Alcohol boosters are ok. I think jezter was thinking of boosters made of alcohol. IOW, dropping in a few shots of Jack Daniels or something. that would not be allowed.

Corn sugar, creamed corn, corn on the cob, wheat, cream of wheat, wheat bread, rye, whey, switchgrass, etc are all acceptable adjuncts.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
jezter6
Recipes 

Good point. I lost my way on the ABV booster thing. Consider it scratched from my head.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

This sounds like fun. I don't understand the limit to only bottle conditioned beer. The end product has to be in a bottle to be mailed for judging, but other then that I don't see a need to limit how it gets into the bottle. I don't like that rule.

Also, I don't see how clearing agents are a problem. If somebody wants to clarify their brew and have it in the cost, why not? Isn't the idea to see who can come up with a great beer within a certain cost limit?

I would say we make it so you can use whatever you wish as long as you list it, calculate the cost fairly and make it yourself. The judges should be able to sort out the funky adjuncts and additives.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
jezter6
Recipes 

The only reason I suggested it is to level the playing field between some of the newbies and the rich professionals with all the cool beer toys. I don't have a kegging setup or filters, and don't think it's right to have other 'outside' costs not reflected into the competition. It costs you more to make that beer with your extra toys, but that can't be factored in logically.

However, since this a group discussion, I'm more prone to listen to those who agree or disagree.

Unfortunately, nobody will ever agree on all the rules, so at some point Toot needs to just make a decision and make a ruling so that we can get started. Hell, I'll brew this weekend if there's a clear ruleset for this.

Quick Reply