Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2 gallon batch brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Default 2 gallon batch brewing

I've been brewing for a while and mostly do 10 gallon batches. This fall I want to have a lot of different bottles on hand for a fall festival... and a couple mini kegs etc. I don't have space for 15 different 5G kegs but I want that level of variety.

My solution is to do a bunch of 2 gallon batches on my stove BIAB style.

For a 2G batch I can mash and everything with my 5G pot I got when I started brewing years ago. All of the volumes are so easy to handle. The 5 gallon food grade buckets from Lowes are plenty big enough.. and dirt cheap. You just need to get some grommets and put a hole in the lid for the airlock. And with that much headspace the chances of a blowoff is really low.

Anyway... my point is that if you like variety and don't have the space to serve a dozen kegs 2 gallon batches are great.

Definitely would be an easy size for a new brewer to start doing all grain with using almost exclusively the same equipment as they use for extract brewing. Just need to get a couple grain bags.

Last edited by theonetrueruss; 08-24-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: 20 should have been 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 164

The last batches I did were 3.5, 2.5 and 3.5. I too like the variety. Even with my gf and drinking it regularly, we just can't go through that much beer as we also buy a bunch of commercial beer and go to bars. I also like the process of finding a recipe, tweaking if necessary and brewing. So small batches give me more opportunity to do that.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I do 3 gallon biab batches with 2.5+ gallons going into 2.5 gallon kegs. I'm in the same boat as mtnagel. Its mostly just me drinking it...wife doesn't drink beer and too busy for much company, so ****** batches just limits my variety! Its a great size for stove top biab.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am a 2.5 Gallon batch brewer--and after nearly 30 batches, the only downside to the quantity is if you make a really awesome batch, you only have 1 case instead of 2. I am finding I am brewing twice as often though and getting to try new things....I am happy! I am really thinking of doing some BIAB in the near future.

Quick Reply