Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2 days of Straight up Beeriness.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 2 days of Straight up Beeriness.

...I'm a madman. Where to begin...

First, I'd been studying my poor ass off for my 2nd (of 9) Architectural Licensing Exam for the past week. I was plain worn out. Scheduled it for 10:30am on Thursday, drove to Richmond, finished around 11:30...and guess what was around the corner from the testing place? Capital Ale House! I started with a glass of Rodenbach Grand Cru. Holy sh*t, it was unbelievable! The acidity and sourness was the perfect palate-starter after chugging all that coffee for the exam. Then I had a Brooklyn Extra Brune, which was as close to trappist fare as I've seen an American brewery every get. Just awesome!

Hopped in the car, put on Jamil's Flanders Red episode, and drove to the Weekend Brewer. Picked up 50 lbs of Briess Pilsner and 50 lbs of Briess 2-row for under $100...also picked up some Essex Ale yeast and Southern German Lager---figuring on doing a XXX Old Ale with the former and a Munich Helles with the latter.

Took the long trip home (Weekend Brewer is my closest LHBS, but since it's 90 mins away, it's not really "local"), brewed a Saison with some good company from Beeropolis.

Friday, woke up at 4:30am, drove down to Lynchburg (90 mins or so each way) to set up our display for a Humane Society conference. Drove home around noon, hopped in the car with the wife, and drove up to Philly (for a wedding). 6 hours later, we got settled in our hotel---and if you'd believe it, we were staying at the Warwick, which is literally up the block and around the corner from Monk's! We hit the open bar that the wedding families had at a pub, then went straight to Monk's.

Started with a Monk's Flemish Sour (of course). What a great beer...definitively more vinegarry than the Rodenbach, but still true to style. Wifey had a Saison that was delicious but I cannot recall the name of. Next we split a Geants Goliath Tripel, which was estery and candied and had a good amount of residual sugar. The food was incredible...we had a bucket of mussels iin a bacon and shallot sauce, and a hamburger with truffle cheese and frites. Then we hit the back bar and hung out with some guys at the bar who were in town from Boston, had an Avery Czar, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Flying Fish Espresso Porter. I also talked the other guys into all getting a glass of Rochefort 8, and they loved it, and I had a taste, and subsequently bought a bottle to go. By that point I was sufficiently wrecked (I'd had Dewars and Jamisons at the open bar before dinner) but we somehow made it back to the hotel...

All in all, Philly's an okay place, but not one of my favorite cities. If it weren't for Monk's, I wouldn't go back. Nice wedding, though, great reception.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

And I complain about driving to the LHBS and its 30min round trip if I know what I want..

Thats a damn lot of driving in a few days.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Yeah, well, that's why I order online for most of my stuff---but I had to go to Richmond for the test, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds. Supposedly we're getting an LHBS here in town in April!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm surprised you thought the Monk's was more vinegary than the RGC. I've only had the Monk's in bottles so perhaps is an on-site, draft sort of thing.

I really enjoyed the RGC, but I had a .75l and it was just too much for one person to drink, in my opinion. Wrecked my palate.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Nice weekend!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I'm surprised you thought the Monk's was more vinegary than the RGC. I've only had the Monk's in bottles so perhaps is an on-site, draft sort of thing.

I really enjoyed the RGC, but I had a .75l and it was just too much for one person to drink, in my opinion. Wrecked my palate.
The last time I had Monk's Cafe Flemish Red in a bottle it was pretty sweet with only a faint green apple/sour tang and a pretty overwhelming sweet finish.

Evan, was Monk's the only place you hit in town?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sweet weekend! 2 days of beeriness usually results in one day of hangoveriness for me, though.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
The last time I had Monk's Cafe Flemish Red in a bottle it was pretty sweet with only a faint green apple/sour tang and a pretty overwhelming sweet finish.

Evan, was Monk's the only place you hit in town?
Yeah, the bottled version is very different, and I'm sure even the kegs/casks at the cafe differ from batch to batch...but yes, the draft Monk's Flemish that I happened to taste was relatively vinegarry, while I got pretty much zero vinegar taste from the RGC. According to JZ, you get a more vinegarry product from oxygen permeation, so I suppose large batches would be more susceptible to it than bottles.

Yeah, Monks was all I really had time for. We got into town around 8 on friday night, had to make an appearance at the Irish pub where the pre-wedding-party was held, and it was past midnight when we left Monks. Saturday was the wedding and then the reception and then the post-reception-party...so, yeah, it was limited, but I made it count.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
Sweet weekend! 2 days of beeriness usually results in one day of hangoveriness for me, though.
I think the yeast from bottle/keg conditioning helps, what with all the vitamin B...plus it helps to drink a bunch of water before bed, which I did. I got pretty slammed at the wedding recep, too, but managed to sober up a touch while we walked around looking for water ice afterwards...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Quercus
Recipes 

Sounds like a damn fine weekend. I empathize with your studying woes; I recently took the state geology board exams in California, and three months of studying almost killed me. And I only had three exams. Nine sounds tough!

Regarding the beer...I love Rodenbach, and I just tried a Monk's last week. I think it has excellent balance, but comparing it next to the Grand Cru might be a bit unfair. RGC is just so good.

I myself had a beer weekend, which including a tour and tasting session at Anderson Valley Brewing Company. Pictures and write-up to follow tonight.

Cheers,

Q.

Primary: Bee Cave Pale Ale
Secondary: ~nada~
Drinking: yes

Quick Reply