Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2 ? about my lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Irishjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 2 ? about my lager

I just put my dark lager in my second ferm. The lager was a dark stout but I used lager yeast (Danish).The beer was in first ferm for 17 days, not by choice. The temp was for the first wk between 55-60. NY started warm up a little so put in refridg with temp between 45-50. When I did the grav. and it 1.012 or so. Trying to get the refridg. to 35 for another month. Two questions:
-will grav. change
-is second ferm temp ok

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You didn't state the OG but my guess is that your beer is done fermenting and so the gravity won't change. Yes, 35 is okay for a lagering temperature. 17 days is no problem. Many lager brewers do a "diacetyl rest" at 60 degrees or higher (I just use room temperature) for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks near the end of primary fermentation. Although your primary fermentation is over, I would still recommend it unless you are in a rush. Take your beer to room temperature for a week, rack it to a secondary, put it in your fridge at 35, and forget about it for a few months.

Good luck!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Irishjoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
You didn't state the OG but my guess is that your beer is done fermenting and so the gravity won't change. Yes, 35 is okay for a lagering temperature. 17 days is no problem. Many lager brewers do a "diacetyl rest" at 60 degrees or higher (I just use room temperature) for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks near the end of primary fermentation. Although your primary fermentation is over, I would still recommend it unless you are in a rush. Take your beer to room temperature for a week, rack it to a secondary, put it in your fridge at 35, and forget about it for a few months.

Good luck!
Thank you. I did not do an OG. Actually just started doing grav.test.

Quick Reply