Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2/2.5 Gallon Brew equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I think Yooper hit the nail on the head...why are you using a secondary??? Unless you're adding some fruit or adjuncts or wild yeast or bugs/bacteria, there's probably not much call for a home brewer to use a secondary. If you're just brewing beer, leave it in the primary until its done then cold crash & bottle/keg. Transferring to a secondary for no good reason is just inviting potential problems with contamination or oxidation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
jongrill
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy
I think Yooper hit the nail on the head...why are you using a secondary??? Unless you're adding some fruit or adjuncts or wild yeast or bugs/bacteria, there's probably not much call for a home brewer to use a secondary. If you're just brewing beer, leave it in the primary until its done then cold crash & bottle/keg. Transferring to a secondary for no good reason is just inviting potential problems with contamination or oxidation.
I do make a lot of beers with fruit additions. That's why I am stuck for ideas...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
I do make a lot of beers with fruit additions. That's why I am stuck for ideas...
I gotcha. I've been there too. A suitable ~2 gallon vessel isn't falling off the shelves. The easy solution, for a secondary, is to use what works and purge it with CO2 before filling it. Thereby, you don't need to worry about oxidation form too much head space.

I tried the multiple 1 gallon glass carboys and felt it was too much of a hassle for most things. I've been using these lately:

2.5 gallon plastic carboys from uline.com. They have some good features and bad features. First, the bad, the spigot is aligned with the very bottom of the jug, in order to drain everything last drop. This is problematic for avoiding trub, so I have to put a board under the front of the jugs to tilt them back. The good things about them are (1) the spigot sized to allow tubing to slip over it, (2) small opening on the top that stoppers w/airlocks fit into, and (3) also a large opening for adding fruit or other things at any time. I just purge them with CO2 first.
Oginme Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #24
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
I have been brewing one gallon batches for a year now. I am very comfortable with the brewing process and would like to step it up just a little it in the volume department. I am really not interested in standard five gallon brewing and small batch seems to be my thing!

I was wondering if you could recommend some products to me for increasing my volume to two or 2.5 gallon batches.

- What size pot would you recommend? I usually do partial mash but have been known to do a BIAB once in a while.

-Fermenters? Would three gallon carboys leave too much head space with two gallon brewing?

Other than those two things. I suppose the rest of my equipment could suffice for now. I can just upgrade as I go!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Jon
I brew 2-3 gallon batches (size varies based on what I'm doing with the beer). I've documented the process on my blog:

Planning my System
Building my System

Quick Reply