Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 2/2.5 Gallon Brew equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
jongrill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default 2/2.5 Gallon Brew equipment?

I have been brewing one gallon batches for a year now. I am very comfortable with the brewing process and would like to step it up just a little it in the volume department. I am really not interested in standard five gallon brewing and small batch seems to be my thing!

I was wondering if you could recommend some products to me for increasing my volume to two or 2.5 gallon batches.

- What size pot would you recommend? I usually do partial mash but have been known to do a BIAB once in a while.

-Fermenters? Would three gallon carboys leave too much head space with two gallon brewing?

Other than those two things. I suppose the rest of my equipment could suffice for now. I can just upgrade as I go!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrill View Post
I have been brewing one gallon batches for a year now. I am very comfortable with the brewing process and would like to step it up just a little it in the volume department. I am really not interested in standard five gallon brewing and small batch seems to be my thing!

I was wondering if you could recommend some products to me for increasing my volume to two or 2.5 gallon batches.

- What size pot would you recommend? I usually do partial mash but have been known to do a BIAB once in a while.

-Fermenters? Would three gallon carboys leave too much head space with two gallon brewing?

Other than those two things. I suppose the rest of my equipment could suffice for now. I can just upgrade as I go!

I do 2-2.5 gallon BIAB batches in a 5 gallon kettle all the time. Plenty of room for most BIAB recipes, and fine for partial mash.

A three gallon carboy would be fine. Headspace isn't much of an issue in a primary, as the CO2 production covers the beer and protects it from oxidation. I've fermented 1 gallon of beer in a 5 gallon bucket several times with no issues. If you secondary, that's a different story...

For a detailed discussion on the required size of a mash tun, see THIS THREAD.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
jongrill
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose

I do 2-2.5 gallon BIAB batches in a 5 gallon kettle all the time. Plenty of room for most BIAB recipes, and fine for partial mash.

A three gallon carboy would be fine. Headspace isn't much of an issue in a primary, as the CO2 production covers the beer and protects it from oxidation. I've fermented 1 gallon of beer in a 5 gallon bucket several times with no issues. If you secondary, that's a different story...

For a detailed discussion on the required size of a mash tun, see THIS THREAD.
What do you use for secondary's? I have a bunch of two gallon buckets I use for my one gallon brewing now. Would that work?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

I've never used a secondary. But yes, a 2 gallon bucket would work fine. For a secondary, you want to minimize headspace to reduce O2 exposure.

But I also have to add - secondaries are a but "old school" and not really needed in most cases. It's often better to just skip the secondary completely.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I like to brew on the same scale: around 2-1/2 gallon batches. It gives me about a case of beer, bottled and I get to brew up a number of different recipes at once. I've been using a 3-gal pot for boiling, but that is really a bit too small for the bigger BIAB recipes I do. I've been splitting it into two pots, but have my eyes open for a 5-gal brew pot. I use the 3-gal Better Bottles for fermenting, both primary and secondary (when I do a secondary fermentation) and they have been holding up just fine. If you are going to do extract or BIAB (partial extract or full mash), that's about all the critical equipment you will need.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I do 2-2.5gl all grain, I mash in a converted 5gl cooler with stainless hot water heater braid, boil in a 5gl cheapo canning pot (recently upgraded, pot works fine as long as you do not ding the porcelain coating), and primary in a 5gal bucket. I have a 3gl better bottle for secondary. The 5gl mash tun works fine for average to somewhat big beers, but when you get around 12lb of grain or so you have to be careful with your mash water ratio. Also the 5gal boil pot is good up to 4gl pre boil for my comfort level.

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
jongrill
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You guys mentioned Better Bottles. For both primary/secondary do you use a plain one or one with a spigot?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I only have the plain ones. I'd try the ones with the spigot if the price were a little better, but until I know that these are going to last more than just a couple of years each, I'll hold off and continue to use my autosiphon...

Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
jongrill
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oginme
I only have the plain ones. I'd try the ones with the spigot if the price were a little better, but until I know that these are going to last more than just a couple of years each, I'll hold off and continue to use my autosiphon...
Maybe I'll just go with glass!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 118

yep.

BIAB, no sparge, 3 gallons batches. 3 gallons into the fermenter, a bit less goes straight into 2.5 gallon kegs.

1 gallon (for steeping grains) and 5 gallon (for full AG BIAB) paint strainer bags from Home Depot
5 gallon SS pot from Walmart
3" tea balls for hop additons
3 gallon better bottle with rotating dip tube & spigot (just do it, spend the money. they work wonderfully. I cringe when I pull out the 3 gallon glass carboy. which I did today. I cranked out two partial mash batches this morning and need both fermenters.)

I need a blow off tube for anything over 1.07 though. But I've been on a long running 4% or less brew kick.

I used to use a small 3 gallon cooler for mashing but its not worth the trouble (i.e. clean-up) for such small batches imo. I can maintain the temps easy enough on the gas stove top with BIAB.

Quick Reply