Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 1st ruined batch in 20 years

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default 1st ruined batch in 20 years

I've never tossed one before, but this was beyond salvaging. Having blown through a nice lab probe thermometer, I got a True Brew floating one. I heated up my sparge water to 190, then moved the thermometer into my mash, and poured in the sparge water.

Bang! The thermometer literally blew up. Tiny shards of glass, mercury (or whatever is in there) leaked out- thankfully I didn't get hit with anything. I can't take the risk of the glass getting into the beer, even filtering with cheesecloth, never mind the mercury.

I am so sick and tired of playing the damn "let's see which thermometer will break this brew session" game. I swear, the day I get a job I'm putting Blickmans into every vessel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

I've always depended on the cheap dial thermometers. Just a matter of checking the calibration occasionally.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply